Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render does not start and Modo crashes after

Hi all,

I'm using vray for Modo for a while now, but there is one scene that fails to render.

I tried rendering a scene with a resolution of 24000 by 12000. this failed, so I first tried lowering the resolution to 16000 by 6000. This worked and I got it to render. Now, after a few weeks I need another render of that scene... and now it again doesn't render. Not even when I have set the resolution set to 5000 x 3000.

The scene has gl 40,691,806 (around 6,000,000 if instances are hidden)
    I have 64gb of memory, it fills the memory up to 13gb before it crashes.

When I press the render teapot icon, I get the initial render window with a loading bar, without text. after a few minutes of loading (I presume) the window disappears and soon after Modo quits. No error message. (because of this, cloud rendering and standalone also doesn't work)
    Last edited by RobertRay; 26-07-2019, 02:05 AM.

Hey,

Check the V-Ray for Modo documentation: this might be help you https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...y+Large+Images -

Cheers,
    Boyan Nalchadjiiski | QA Engineer @ Chaos |
    E-mail: boyan.nalchadjiiski@chaos.com

Comment

Still doesn't get past this point.

Comment

Even when I turn every mesh off but one (a simple model, not a lot of polygons)... also doesn't render. I'm affraid something else is the problem. My render settings are identical to my other scene's that do render.

Comment

Hey,

Can you make a screenshot of yours rendering settings? What is the image sampler used by you? You can send and vrscene file as well. You can export it by using V-Ray Standalone tool (V-Ray Menu -> V-Ray standalone) Choose output image and enable -> "Only export without starting V-Ray Standalone" opt.

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by RobertRay View Post
            Even when I turn every mesh off but one (a simple model, not a lot of polygons)... also doesn't render. I'm affraid something else is the problem. My render settings are identical to my other scene's that do render.
            That's great actually, that it crashes on a simple mesh, and not only on the complex scene.
            Can you send the .lxo file with that mesh to me ?
            E-mail is in my signature.

If it crashes during export, there is a chance the issue is in Modo itself.
            You can try another version of Modo.

Also if the usage of Modo's "Render Cache" is enabled in the V-Ray Settings, you can try disabling this.
            The Render Cache sometimes causes issues.

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev
            Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

vladimir.nedev I'll will send you the file by wetransfer, it's a large file.

Comment

"Also if the usage of Modo's "Render Cache" is enabled in the V-Ray Settings, you can try disabling this.
                The Render Cache sometimes causes issues."

Mine's on "Static"

will turn it off and see what it does.

edit: same problem.
                I'm sending the file.
                Last edited by RobertRay; 31-07-2019, 07:30 AM.

Comment

I'm using latest version of Modo and these render settings work with scene's that are smaller in polygons.

ps, it looked like it was not going to render, but now it did manage to RT!

Not sure if turning off render cache fixed it, or just lucky. Will repeat it tomorrow.
                  Last edited by RobertRay; 31-07-2019, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Setting the render cache off, fixed the problem! (had 2 big scenes, but wouldn't render... now they do.)

Next step is to start an actual render instead of an RT.

Comment

Hey, Robert

Using RT with a progressive rendering for High-Resolution images like yours 24k x 12k can "eat" your ram memory and this might be a reason for this behavior. Try with Render (Bucket) with V-Ray ... or Render with Standalone ...

Cheers,

Comment

boyan True, but it also happened when trying to do the same scene with a very small resolution. The render cache was the problem. I have 64gb of ram, 24 x 12k fits (barely, depends on scene). I always use bucket rendering for final image.

Comment

Just curious, why the insane resolution ?
                          www.ingoerikmoltzen.com

Comment

Originally posted by ingoerik View Post
                            Just curious, why the insane resolution ?
                            Because I'm insane!

Because I make product renders of complex machines and we use those images in our brochures, but also in posters as big as 4 meters wide. (13.1 feet)

Comment

lol, well 4 meter wide means 100 dpi, thats a lot, but depends obviously how close you are to the posters. For my renderings on building signs with similar size i usually have 20 - 30 dpi, but the viewing distance is always calculated around 5 meters, thats why 20 - 30 dpi are enough.
                              www.ingoerikmoltzen.com

Comment

Working...
                              X