Will we ever get vertex map support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will we ever get vertex map support?

Will we ever get vertex map support? It was promised long ago...

Vertex map support won't be added any time soon, most likely.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

thanks for the honest information.. sad but, at least knowing is better

Comment

It's really sad that vertex maps are not supported.
        Last edited by triphon; 01-11-2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Why exactly is this such problem to implement?
          - H -

Comment

I guess they didn't made enough money with the Modo plugin and now think that any further investment is a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by SreckoM View Post
              Why exactly is this such problem to implement?
              Mostly because I am busy with other projects.

It's relatively easy to implement it in a quick and dirty way, but if you consider proper interactive updates, it becomes difficult and will take time I don't have right now.
              You don't want to export all vertex maps to V-Ray, only those that are used in weight maps, otherwise memory is wasted, especially on GPU.
              During interactive rendering this can change as you modify the shader tree, meaning individual meshes have to be reexported based on what vertex maps they have and what materials they are using.
              V-Ray for Modo doesn't have a facility for this.

Greetings,
              Vladimir Nedev

Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

ok, thanks for clearing that. I just hope you find time. This and the fact that normal maps need uvs (in case there is a uv map on the mesh) are really bugging my workflow. But then V-Ray in Modo is already 100 times better then the C4D version.

Comment

PS: Many people argue Modos render is good enough.. it isn't.. I don't want ever go back, its a waste of time. V-Ray is an extrem robust and production proved render that is a million times more reliable in production then Modos render..

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    ok, thanks for clearing that. I just hope you find time. This and the fact that normal maps need uvs (in case there is a uv map on the mesh) are really bugging my workflow. But then V-Ray in Modo is already 100 times better then the C4D version.
                    The normal maps issue with multiple UV maps or other projection types is somewhat fixed. You do need a latest nightly build.
                    I am not sure you will like the results however.
                    Check this post : https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...56#post1051056

Greetings,
                    Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Thanks. Just got access to V-Ray 4.0 nightlies today. Not sure what the problem was, but I see now all the updates.

Comment

Working...
                      X