Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical camera behavior

Hi guys,

I'm trying to migrate to V-ray but there are some questions about V-ray camera and Dome light.

Why when we turn on adaptive option on Dome lights it darkens the scene? Should we bump the light intensity up or go higher with the physical camera settings?

Does the "Exposure" option the same as Auto exposure/color balance like in 3DS max? If so why it doesn't brighten the scene. Also I don't get why we have ISO, does it add noise to the images if set to higher values?

How can we set an ideal starting point to light our scenes, I'm not sure if a should raise the light intensity or the physical camera parameters.

Which Vray is closer to the modo learning curve? Caos has done some great videos for Sketch Up, 3DS max and others Apps on YouTube. Would love to see something for Modo.

I tried to bring some files from 3DS Max and SU through exporting them to .vrscene but it didn't work quite well, fur, normal, displacements even some basic materials like colored glass were different. The materials structures were a mess.

Why when we turn on adaptive option on Dome lights it darkens the scene?
    This shouldn't happen, sounds like a bug, we would need a scene to examine the issue.

Does the "Exposure" option the same as Auto exposure/color balance like in 3DS max?
    No, it just controls whether the physical camera parameters affect the exposure of the scene.
    The auto exposure/white balance option is not implemented in V-Ray for Modo.

Also I don't get why we have ISO, does it add noise to the images if set to higher values?
    No, it doesn't add noise. It's there so you can match real camera parameters.

How can we set an ideal starting point to light our scenes, I'm not sure if a should raise the light intensity or the physical camera parameters.
    Sorry, I don't know, that's more of a photography question.

Which Vray is closer to the modo learning curve?
    I would say V-Ray for 3dsMax/Maya are closer to V-Ray for Modo.

I tried to bring some files from 3DS Max and SU through exporting them to .vrscene but it didn't work quite well, fur, normal, displacements even some basic materials like colored glass were different.
    Yes, importing V-Ray Fur and displacement maps is not supported.
    Normal maps and colored glass should generally work however, not sure what the issue could be without a scene.

The materials structures were a mess.
    The importer is designed to work with .vrscene files from V-Ray for 3ds Max.
    Files from other integrations might not be imported as anything useful.

Some of the texture connections in the .vrscene file cannot be represented in Modo's shader tree, so they will be created in the Schematic.
    Simple materials with bitmap textures should be just a material and a bunch of textures in the shader tree.

You can read more about the supported importer features here : https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...vrscene+Import

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Working...
    X