Animation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to cd into /Applications/ChaosGroup/V-Ray/MODO_x64/bin
    It's telling you that it cannot find vdenoise.bin in the current directory, because you haven't changed it to the location of vdenoise.bin.
    Just write cd /Applications/ChaosGroup/V-Ray/MODO_x64/bin and then ./vdenoise ... in the Terminal.
    Also you will have to replace the frame number with ???? to tell it to denoise multiple files.

The output can be specified with one of the parameters, read the docs.
    If you don't specify it, the denoise tool will probably add some suffix to your input files and create new files.
    Replacing your existing files is not a good idea, this will prevent you from trying to denoise them again with different parameters.

The dot is required on macOS systems but not on Windows.

Can I execute this DeNoiser step by putting the command here.....
    If so, I am not sure how to write the two commands in the single field. It would be nice if this worked since it would be automated.
    In theory you can, but it's too complicated, you would have to write your own Python command.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Hey, Daniel,

You can make the alias for the tool.

HOW TO DO THAT :

Use "Sudo" for permission.
      ================================================
      1. Creating bash.profile
      Start up Terminal. -> Type "cd ~/" or go to your home folder. -> Type "touch .bash_profile" to create your new file.
      Creating aliases
      Type nano .bash_profile
      #Vdenoiser
      alias vdenoiser="/Applications/ChaosGroup/V-Ray/MODO_x64/bin/vdenoise.bin -inputFile="
      Press Ctrl+X -> Y to confirm
      Close the Terminal

HOW TO RUN

Run Ternimal - Type "vdenoiser" (drag and drop file) - > Press Enter

You can make a simple BASH script to automate the process,

Enjoy!
      Boyan Nalchadjiiski | QA Engineer @ Chaos |
      E-mail: boyan.nalchadjiiski@chaos.com

Comment

Thank you guys. I am not really familiar with commands that are run through terminal. I guess I will be learning as we go. So, more questions.

a. Not sure what Use "Sudo" means. I guess I am not supposed to do anything but follow the next step . So, I can run this all on the mac? I now have a PC, but again, another new thing for me to stumble through as I get up to speed. Although, so far, I am doing ok on that side.

So, can the alias actually just be an icon on my desktop that I can drag and drop the first frame EXR onto and it will just process? Just to eliminate the step of opening terminal?

OH, And as Vlad points out the dot in .vdenoise is required for mac, so, is there anything in this that I need to address for the mac?

Here is what happens when I try to follow this .....
        Last edited by Danielhruby; 21-05-2018, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Comment

You must have a space between cd and ~/ .
            Try to make it work the way I suggested, the alias stuff will only confuse you as it complicates things further.

I suggest you watch some tutorials on youtube about using the Terminal app in macOS.
            If you are not comfortable using it, you won't be able to use this command line workflow.

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev
            Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

There's no need to know how to use the terminal beside some basic tasks, do like this:
              1-open the terminal
              2-drag and drop the .exr/vrimg image file inside the terminal window, this will give you the correct path, like: /Users/XXX/Documents/WIP/XXX.exr select the file path and copy
              3-drag and drop the file vdenoise inside the terminal window, this will give you something like that: /Applications/ChaosGroup/bin/vdenoise
              4-now the denoiser is ready to run but you need to specify what to look for
              5-type space-inputFile="copy the file path here", it should look something like this: /Applications/ChaosGroup/bin/vdenoise -inputFile="/Users/XXX/Documents/WIP/XXX.exr"
              6-add the options you like the most(you get the full list by double clicking on the vdenoise app or by looking on the manual), once you add the options it should look something like this: /Applications/ChaosGroup/bin/vdenoise -inputFile="/Users/XXX/Documents/WIP/XXX.exr" -threshold=0.05 -useGpu=2 -radius=3 -mode=default -elements=0 -strength=1
              7-press enter and it will start to run for still or animation(for animation type ???? instead of the frame number)

Since there's no tutorial for vdenoise on Mac I've struggled quite a bit to make everything work the first time, I hope this will help.
              Last edited by sirio76; 21-05-2018, 11:47 AM.
              3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
              NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
              www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
              @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

Thanks again guys. I will get it eventually. I bought a second copy of the rendered for modo and have it working on a new 1950x Threadripper system. Its 2.6 times faster than my Mac Pro! Woo hoo!

Vlad, I am going to upload this aniamtion to Garage farm and render a test. Brute force/LC method will I be better off enabling the "Follow Camera Path" & " FlyThrough" enabled? I know you said it was broken for Mac, but I think my file will upload and be processed on a PC. I have asked that the sequence be run on a single 4 CPU machine in the hopes of avoiding errors between different nodes.

I was going to set the LC Subdivisions to 2000. Good enough or do you really need to see? My final resolution will be 1280x720. If I can get rendering times under control, then maybe it goes up to 1920x1080. I will post a result soon for comment.

Comment

Hey, Daniel,

Using alias is the better way to Mac or Linux because you have to do it once after that is just drag and drop file.

I never think about to link the alias to the executable file, so I don't know if this can be possible.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gat...AX6l07Q4B/view

Cheers,

Boyan Nalchadjiiski | QA Engineer @ Chaos |
                  E-mail: boyan.nalchadjiiski@chaos.com

Comment

Brute force/LC method will I be better off enabling the "Follow Camera Path" & " FlyThrough" enabled? I know you said it was broken for Mac, but I think my file will upload and be processed on a PC.
                    Use Camera Path doesn't work in V-Ray for Modo, not specific to Windows or macOS.

Edit: Actually, the Use Camera Path option might work correctly if you render the whole scene with V-Ray Standalone. The reason it doesn't work when rendering inside Modo is that I am not exporting the whole camera path on the initial frame.
                    But if you render with V-Ray Standalone the .vrscene will contain the whole path.

I was going to set the LC Subdivisions to 2000. Good enough or do you really need to see? My final resolution will be 1280x720. If I can get rendering times under control, then maybe it goes up to 1920x1080. I will post a result soon for comment.
                    Hard to tell, you will have to test it.

Greetings,
                    Vladimir Nedev
                    Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 22-05-2018, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Ok, I have my noisy low res images for proofing with my client. I tried Vlad's approach first. using these lines of code....

cd /Applications/ChaosGroup/V-Ray/MODO_x64/bin

./vdenoise.bin -inputFile=“/Users/DanielHruby/Dropbox/VIB Projects/MAYFAIR HOMES/PIPELINE/1_Frames_Modo/Kitchen/Kitchen????.exr”-outputDirectory="/Users/DanielHruby/Dropbox/VIB Projects/MAYFAIR HOMES/PIPELINE/2_Frames_Denoised/Kitchen_Denoised"-mode= default

and then i hit enter and it seems like I successfully launched the app, but no data was processed or saved into the folder I specified and no indication that something failed either.

I have VRAY on my new PC herewith Modo and Standalone package installed. Perhaps I made a simple typo somewhere???

Last edited by Danielhruby; 22-05-2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

You seem to be lacking a space character before -outputDirectory
                        The command line parameters have to be separated by spaces.

Greetings,
                        Vladimir Nedev

Comment

HI Vlad, I added the space, but it still is not working. I used these two lines below, hitting enter after each one. The Vdenoise Help rolls out, so the command is triggering, but nothing gets processed.

./vdenoise.bin -inputFile=“/Users/DanielHruby/Dropbox/VIB Projects/MAYFAIR HOMES/PIPELINE/1_Frames_Modo/Kitchen/Kitchen????.exr” -outputDirectory="/Users/DanielHruby/Dropbox/VIB Projects/MAYFAIR HOMES/PIPELINE/2_Frames_Denoised/Kitchen_Denoised" -mode=default

If I drag and drop my file into Terminal to show the file path and hit return, I get this.....

Daniels-Mac-Pro:~ DanielHruby$ /Users/DanielHruby/Dropbox/VIB\ Projects/MAYFAIR\ HOMES/PIPELINE/1_Frames_Modo/Kitchen/Kitchen0001.exr

-bash: /Users/DanielHruby/Dropbox/VIB Projects/MAYFAIR HOMES/PIPELINE/1_Frames_Modo/Kitchen/Kitchen0001.exr: Permission denied

Daniels-Mac-Pro:~ DanielHruby$

Permission denied?

The only other odd thing I see is that the the slashes are flipped around at first, but the returned response shows that Terminal has flipped them correctly. So, maybe a non-issue.

Could it be that I am saving out 16 bit layered EXR rather than 32 bit??

Do I have the proper Render Elements attached? Here is my set up from within modo and what is showing up in Fusion.

Please also review my Set up for GI and Main settings. I am running this on the PC for final render and will use the standalone if that might help speed up the renderings. I noticed that last night, my frames were rendering in about 257 seconds for the first few frames and then over time each frame got slower and slower until the final frames were taking 567 seconds to complete. I know it might be related to the camera position and what it sees, but I think this problem has appeared using modo renderer for animations. Could thins be related to not saving a LC file and point to it before running the animation? I enabled use camera path and fly through, but forgot to save and point to the file before running he final render.

Finally, Vlad, would this project be a good candidate for trying the new Vray Cloud rendering? Does that service provide options to automate the VDenoise so I dont have to do this terminal stuff?

Thanks!

Last edited by Danielhruby; 23-05-2018, 09:38 AM.

Comment

HI Vlad, I added the space, but it still is not working. I used these two lines below, hitting enter after each one. The Vdenoise Help rolls out, so the command is triggering, but nothing gets processed.
                            ./vdenoise.bin -inputFile=“/Users/DanielHruby/Dropbox/VIB Projects/MAYFAIR HOMES/PIPELINE/1_Frames_Modo/Kitchen/Kitchen????.exr” -outputDirectory="/Users/DanielHruby/Dropbox/VIB Projects/MAYFAIR HOMES/PIPELINE/2_Frames_Denoised/Kitchen_Denoised" -mode=default
                            The command looks ok, but if you are still getting the help message, then something is still wrong.
                            Or are you getting some other output from the vdenoise command ?

If I drag and drop my file into Terminal to show the file path and hit return, I get this.....
                            Daniels-Mac-Pro:~ DanielHruby$ /Users/DanielHruby/Dropbox/VIB\ Projects/MAYFAIR\ HOMES/PIPELINE/1_Frames_Modo/Kitchen/Kitchen0001.exr
                            -bash: /Users/DanielHruby/Dropbox/VIB Projects/MAYFAIR HOMES/PIPELINE/1_Frames_Modo/Kitchen/Kitchen0001.exr: Permission denied
                            Daniels-Mac-Pro:~ DanielHruby$
                            Permission denied?
                            This is normal, you are trying to "execute" the exr file as if it is an application, but it doesn't have execute permissions.

The only other odd thing I see is that the the slashes are flipped around at first, but the returned response shows that Terminal has flipped them correctly. So, maybe a non-issue.
                            The flipped slash is "escaping" the space character. You have the path in quotations, so it shouldn't be necessary.

Could it be that I am saving out 16 bit layered EXR rather than 32 bit??
                            I think you need to save to multichannel EXR (doesn't matter if it is 16 or 32 bit) or vrimg.
                            Otherwise you will get a specific error message that render elements are missing.

Do I have the proper Render Elements attached? Here is my set up from within modo and what is showing up in Fusion.
                            You don't have to manually add any render element. In fact, it's better that you don't add them manually.
                            Just enable the denoiser and change the mode to "only generate elements", like in the screen-shot I posted earlier.
                            This mode will add all the necessary render elements for you.

Please also review my Set up for GI and Main settings. I am running this on the PC for final render and will use the standalone if that might help speed up the renderings. I noticed that last night, my frames were rendering in about 257 seconds for the first few frames and then over time each frame got slower and slower until the final frames were taking 567 seconds to complete. I know it might be related to the camera position and what it sees, but I think this problem has appeared using modo renderer for animations. Could thins be related to not saving a LC file and point to it before running the animation? I enabled use camera path and fly through, but forgot to save and point to the file before running he final render.
                            Do not enable Use Camera Path or Fly Through mode, as they don't work correctly in V-Ray for Modo, unless you are rendering using the Render with V-Ray Standalone command.
                            Different frames will render for a different amount of time, this is normal, it depends on the noise/complexity in each individual frame.
                            Just use single frame mode for the light cache for now.

Finally, Vlad, would this project be a good candidate for trying the new Vray Cloud rendering? Does that service provide options to automate the VDenoise so I dont have to do this terminal stuff?
                            I am not aware of such a feature in V-Ray Cloud currently, but I might be wrong.

Greetings,
                            Vladimir Nedev
                            ​​​​​​​

Comment

Oh, also make sure to include the -useGpu=2 option, as otherwise denoising can be quite slow.

Greetings,
                              Vladimir Nedev
                              Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 23-05-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Well, then I don't know what is happening either. I run the commands as described, but no output is going to my defined path :

-outputDirectory="/Users/DanielHruby/Dropbox/VIB Projects/MAYFAIR HOMES/PIPELINE/2_Frames_Denoised/Kitchen_Denoised"

I do have the render elements set u via the option in the preferences to only render the necessary elelemmtns for denoising. Plus some other stuff for compositing.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X