error rendering with RT cpu or standalone 8k image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• error rendering with RT cpu or standalone 8k image

I am trying to render a scene with the water material, and do see the effect I believe I need to render this with the cpu - when I try to do this either with RT or standalone, it starts as usual, but fails everytime. I can render the image at 4k. is this a lack of memory? I have 32 gigs of ram. this is the only error I see - Click image for larger version

Name:	cpu error.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	1077124

Are you using displacement ? Increasing the resolution will also increase the amount of triangles for the displacement.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1077145Click image for larger version

Name:	cpu error.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	1077147Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture5.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1077148Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1077149 yes the water texture is set to vector displacement, but that is the only use of displacement in the scene. I can render this at 8k with RT GPU easily, but the water effect does not show. if I turn off the water texture, CPU works very fast and normal, but if I turn on the water texture, I cannot render it past 4k. (and at 4k it takes approximately 8 min. to show the start of the render- I tried to also render the 8k version on Chaos Cloud and if failed (not sure if for the same reason) I believe I followed all the steps found in the water texture documentation for modo. I am using modo 14 and vray nightly 4.3 - also - just now I rendered the 4k version on Chaos cloud easy - tried 8k right after, failed again. I have the water resolution set to 256.
      Attached Files

Comment

I am guessing this is an issue with running out of memory, since it happens when you increase the resolution.

You can use the memory tracker to figure out what exactly is eating up the memory.
        Render at the lower resolution and check Modo's Event Log or the V-Ray Standalone console.
        Look for the "Peak memory for" lines and they will tell you what's eating up the RAM.

For the displacement, you can add a V-Ray Geometry Properties package to the mesh that's being displaced and increase the edge length to reduce the displacement detail.
        See attached image.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

ok thank you! I wonder though, why would I get the failure in the cloud? it worked at 4k, failed at 8k, same as on my machine.

Comment

Yes, that's strange, those machines have a lot of RAM.
            Maybe you can report the issue through the V-Ray cloud platform and they will be able to rerun the job and debug it for the exact reason.

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Working...
            X