Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rendering Textures Created in Substance Painter 2 in RT GPU vs RT CPU

Hi,

I modeled a simple box for a body of a toy robot in Modo 10. I then exported it out as an FBX file to Substance Painter 2 for texturing. After I finished painting in SP2, I exported out the textures, selecting either "V-Ray" or the "V-Ray UDIM" preset as a Config in SP2 export window. SP2 created the various texture files and added their types in the filenames (i.e. diffuse, glossiness, reflection, IOR, etc).

When I loaded the textures in Modo, I noticed that in RT GPU, the overall quality of the textures, especially the glossiness texture, was blurry compared to the resulting render in RT CPU.

Here's the render with RT CPU:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cpu.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	500.2 KB
ID:	887400

This is with RT GPU:

Name:	gpu.jpg
Size:	498.1 KB
ID:	887399

This is with SP2 Iray:

Name:	sp2.jpg
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	887401

I'm not sure if this is a known limitation to the RT GPU. Maybe there were some steps I missed in setting the textures up in Modo (I'm still a newbie to V-Ray and even to Modo ). Has anyone experienced the same thing with RT GPU and, perhaps know how to fix it? Thank you.

Adam

Not sure but might want to try a few things first.

I'm not sure Vray uses it, but turn off anti-aliasing in the image properties.

Then check that the RT GPU texture size, under RT- Performance and Memory, is at least the size you want to use.

Name:	Vray RT Texture size.png
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	867290

Comment

Originally posted by GidPDX View Post
      Then check that the RT GPU texture size, under RT- Performance and Memory, is at least the size you want to use.
      Hi, GidPDX,

I changed the GPU Texture Size to 2048 (the size of the texture I used), and that fixed it! Thanks a lot for the advice. Turning off the anti-aliasing option had no effect in RT GPU though.

Here's the result in RT GPU:

Name:	gpu2.jpg
Size:	448.1 KB
ID:	867291

Thank you, GidPDX, for your help.

Best Regards,

Adam

Comment

You can just also change the setting from "Resize textures" to "Full size" and the render will not auto-resize the textures you use.

Best,
        Blaog.
        V-Ray fan.
        Looking busy around GPUs ...
        RTX ON

Comment

Originally posted by savage309 View Post
          You can just also change the setting from "Resize textures" to "Full size" and the render will not auto-resize the textures you use.
          Cool. Thank you, Savage309, for the tip!

Best Regards,

Adam

Comment

Working...
          X