Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lantern effect - can't get self illumination to effect GI

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to create a lantern effect, with a lattice inside a sphere (like wires inside a paper globe) and a light inside.
    The 2-sided material gets me close but I need the effect to light up the environment, so I thought I'd try a self illuminated texture, but again, no effect in the GI (and of course you can't see the internal lattice either).
    I am sure I a missing something basic. Any tips on how to achieve this? I know this is super basic but I am drawing a blank.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	selfillum1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1041774

Cheers,
    frank

Hey,

Using the 2 sided material is a really great approach, so use that for your sphere. Put a V-Ray sphere light inside of the sphere, and adjust your value for the transparency of the 2sided material.
    There is no need for the self-illumination. And it's not showing up (the self-illum) in the GI, probably because the effect is really weak compared to the light coming from the rect light. If you add a vrayObj properties node and increase the generate GI you will notice the effect. Though you can get away without self-illumination at all.

Cheers,
    Georgi Zhekov
    Phoenix Product Manager
    Chaos

Comment

Aaaah, user error. I had done what you are suggesting but to no avail. The culprit was that I had refection settings in the room shader (after copy/pasting it and forgetting to reset).

Comment

Working...
      X