baking lighting / UV space render?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baking lighting / UV space render?

Can the VRayRender node render to texture space like Nuke's ScanlineRenderer? Maybe with some clever post translate script?
    Most of my objects are static and I could just bake the lighting into a texture that way and save heaps of render time.
    Or are there other ways to achieve this with VRay in Nuke?

Cheers,
    frank

Yes, you can do that with post-translate script.

Check the attached file. Just change the Sphere1 with the name of your object and it should work.
    Attached Files
    Georgi Zhekov
    Phoenix Product Manager
    Chaos

Comment

Great, thanks. It only seems to work on nodes that create geo in the first place though, i.e. ReadGeo, Sphere etc. If those nodes have subsequent TransformGeo nodes attached it won't work.
      I tried using the last TransformGeo node's name in your code, the one that moves the object into the scene but I only get white. I have to write our that TransformGeo as geo to disk, then bring it back in with ReadGeo and reference that in your code, then it seems to work.

Comment

Yes, that's a limitation on how the TransformGeo is working with VRay.
        Georgi Zhekov
        Phoenix Product Manager
        Chaos

Comment

Hm. I can't get this to work with my scene (attached). Can you have a look please?
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey,

In the post-translate script you should substitute node_ReadGeo9 with "node_ReadGeo9_root_Meshes_ReadGeo13_root_Mesh_ref _retopo_Mesh_ref_retopo_Shape_mesh" and it will work.
            The name that we assign in the vrscene is not always the same as in Nuke. In order to find the correct name of you object that you will use for the baking - export a vrscene file with the VRayTranslator node, open it with a text editor and search for the name of your geo. You need something like "node_YourGeoName"

Though the alembic that you are using seems to be broken, it looks all pixelated and all over the place. I tried assigning it new UV's in Maya but still it's not working correctly. How did you create that geo?
            Georgi Zhekov
            Phoenix Product Manager
            Chaos

Comment

Thanks, I will give that a go. I created this using a WriteGeo node in Nuke, which was a combination of various alembic files exported from Modo with appended TransformGeo nodes in Nuke.
              I will experiment with this a bit today and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Comment

Oh, btw, any way this will be made easier in Nuke in the future? E.g. maybe a new projection mode in the VRayRender node that uses a user specified object ID instead of having to use a post translate script?

Comment

So I just re-packed the UV shells for the geo as they were all overlapping (naughty result from a retopology step) and it seems to be working fine now.

Comment

Glad it is working.

It's in our to do list to make it a bit easier to work with, without the use of post-translate.
                    Georgi Zhekov
                    Phoenix Product Manager
                    Chaos

Comment

Working...
                    X