Displacement map size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement map size

One more issue. I'm trying to create a material with 2d displacement for fast 3d grass rendering (among other things). I add a displacement bitmap to a generic material. Then specify a bitmap and set the mode to 2D (UV Channel). But it always sizes the bitmap 1 unit by 1 unit, even if I specify 5x5 in the appearance manager. If I turn displacement off and put the same bitmap in the diffuse or bump slot, then it maps 5x5 correctly. Much searching has found no solution.

Thanks

Wayne
    Attached Files

Wayne,

I'm unable to reproduce this. Do you mean that
    1. the preview of the texture does not change when you tweak the transforms in the Appearance Manager
    or 2. it does not update on the rendering?
    If you render, do you render on CPU or GPU? Because 2D displacement is supported on CPU.

Ana
    Ana Lyubenova
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Revit
    www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

It does not render correctly, and it is set to CPU. Attached is a sample file, turn on the diffuse map and turn off displacement and it renders 5' x 5' as specified in the appearance manager. Turn off diffuse map and turn on displacement and the displacement does not render as specified in the appearance manager (it's the same exact map). Instead it appears to render 1' x 1' resulting in bad tiling. I assume it is defaulting to 1 unit by 1 unit regardless of measuring system. Could the displacement mapping setting be set somewhere else?

Thanks!
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Wayne,

We will have a look at this as it seems like a bug.
        As you mentioned that you're using displacement for the grass, why don't you try out V-Ray Grass/Fur? If you share with me what exactly you're trying to achieve, I can be more specific.

Best,
        Ana
        Ana Lyubenova
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Revit
        www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Thanks Ana. Vray fur is much too slow to render when there's large areas and/or when it's far enough away that you can't tell the difference. I'll use it sparingly for small amounts of grass close to the camera. Also I use displacement for many other things, it's one of my favorite features.

Wayne

Comment

Be careful not to overdo the displacement, as just like grass/fur it is meant to add detail to the image, i.e. use it in the foreground the way you use grass. And use bump for the remote objects.
            In case you end up applying grass/fur to a large area, use the Level of Detail parameter.

Ana Lyubenova
            Product Manager
            V-Ray for Revit
            www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

I didn't know about that parameter, that's good to know. Were you able to import that test vrmat file from 3dsmax into revit? Wondering if that's a bug or if it's only happening on my end.

Thanks

Comment

We're investigating.
                Ana Lyubenova
                Product Manager
                V-Ray for Revit
                www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Working...
                X