V-Ray sun and HDRI environment combined render

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray sun and HDRI environment combined render

Would love (or rather, need...) the ability to combine Vray Sun and HDRI Sky maps. Right now, whenever I render water, it comes out looking like mud with Vray Sun. On the other hand, with HDRI sky maps I get a nice reflection, I cannot control shadows very good (need them to be accurate for the location and time of day). I sometimes do renders with both, but it's a pain to setup and switch between two different light systems for each scene/render and takes a lot of time to combine in Photoshop.

You can get good results using both physical sun or HDR, the problem is mostly in your water material setup. Use a proper volume for water not just a plane and give it a shader with 1.33 IOR in refraction/reflection plus some slight tint for the fog, then choose a proper material for the bottom.
    3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
    NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
    www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
    @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by sirio76 View Post
      You can get good results using both physical sun or HDR, the problem is mostly in your water material setup. Use a proper volume for water not just a plane and give it a shader with 1.33 IOR in refraction/reflection plus some slight tint for the fog, then choose a proper material for the bottom.
      Ok, maybe you're right. Water is 9 meters deep, but I can try and make it deeper. Fog colour might make a difference. How would you suggest adding a material to the bottom? Something like a sand texture or similar?

However, I still want the ability to have the sky reflecting in the water without losing accurate shadows so my original question still stands.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Glenn,

We understand the need and we are working on the ability to combine Sun and HDR.
        As for the water material - it is not necessary to make it that deep. I mean, even with a simple plane and the correct material settings, you can achieve the effect you want. Have you tried with any of the library materials (here: C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Revit\vrmateditor\materials\Liquid). You can use any of them as a base.

Best,
        Ana
        Ana Lyubenova
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Revit
        www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Again, the problem is not coming from the usage of the HDR and/or physical sun, it's in your scene/material setup. A low quality HDR do not have enough energy for the sun intensity, but if you use quality HDR file then the sun will have plenty of energy in order to produce sharp shadows(plus a nice sky lighting/reflection), so you won't have necessity to add an additional sun. Here are a couple examples, one pond water made many years ago back when I was using mainly physical sun for my lighting, and an ocean water using one of my own HDR. Both water are decent and it's not because of the light.
          NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/

Comment

sirio76 , I totally agree with you.
            Are these renderings created in V-Ray for Revit?
            Ana Lyubenova
            Product Manager
            V-Ray for Revit
            www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Hi Ana, both are made using an old version of Vrayforc4d but I assume the principles are the same also in Vray for Revit

Comment

Yes, they are. I was just curious...
                Ana Lyubenova
                Product Manager
                V-Ray for Revit
                www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Reviving this old thread. The problem in my initial post was indeed an old autogen water material, removing that fixed the problem.

I would still like to know if there's been any updates regarding using a combined Sun and HDRi?

Comment

Hi Glenn,

Yes, there is. A beta is coming containing exactly the capability you're asking about.
                    You'll hear from us very soon.

Best,
                    Ana
                    Ana Lyubenova
                    Product Manager
                    V-Ray for Revit
                    www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Lyubenova View Post
                      Hi Glenn,

Yes, there is. A beta is coming containing exactly the capability you're asking about.
                      You'll hear from us very soon.

Best,
                      Ana
                      Excellent. Really appreciate your speedy responses, Ana.

Comment

Working...
                      X