Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflection Noise (GPU)

Hi,

I don't get the noise cleaned in the reflections of the wood wall. The screenshot shows the denoised result. The reflection depth is global set to 1, also the glossy wood got max depth 1. But the reflection on the window frame cause a strong noise. If I use a plastic material without reflective "coat" than this area is clean.

I think there are two problems:

* The reflection at the window frame shouldn't be visible in the reflection of the wood if I set max depth 1.
    * Could the sampling not be better?

This issue is quite old, it's not related to the current nightly.

..... a got some ideas and did some more tests ....

I found the reason. Outside is a large area placed as fake of the sky light. If I disable the speculars of this area light than the noise is gone. Is it a know problem that speculars are weak sampled in reflections? Are speculars not limited by the reflection depth?
    www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

I send a simplified example of this scene at ticket 269-429-0588 ​​​​​​​

Comment

Hello Micha

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The QA team has began to investigate this behavior and we will provide you with an answer as soon as possible. Please stand by for an update on our side.
      Zahari Ivanov | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi, Micha,

To avoid the noise in the reflection, disable the Rectangle light option "Affect Specular". A better way to control the appearance of overly bright pixels (fileflies) is to lower the intensity of the light assets and adjust the Camera Exposure value accordingly under the Camera roll-out in the Settings tab.

Kind regards,
        Natali
        Natali Velcheva
        V-Ray for SketchUp | V-Ray for Rhino | QA
        www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Hi Natali,

thank you for the workarounds. The affect specular is easy to use, only I hope that I don't miss the specular effect at other places of my scenes.

I never use the camera exposure since it cause an unwanted sideeffect - the brightness of the rendering dependence from the use lens length. I don't want adjust the exposure every time I use an other view with an other lens length. It's a pity that this seldom useful side effect can't be disabled.

Do you think the sampling of the speculars can be improved? Is it possible that the max reflection depth limit works for speculars too?

Best -
          Micha

Comment

Working...
          X