Vray for Rhino Materials disappear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Let me quickly explain what the issue actually is (was).
    When a model is opened, V-Ray awaits OnEndOpenDocument() event to fire and then makes some important work to the scene (like migrations, etc). One particular task that needs to be done is material sync. That is Synchronizing material definitions between the V-Ray scene and the Rhino model.
    However at the point of OnEndOpenDocument event, Rhino hasn't even started loading the rendering materials. So there is nothing to sync, it is guaranteed there are exactly 0 Rhino materials at that point. At some point Rhino RDKDocument starts loading the materials, but it never tells when it is finished. There is no OnEndLoadMaterials() event whatsoever. Furthermore McNeel has always refused to add such an event, despite all our requests.
    So we had to invent some other mechanism to detect when the material table is ready for use. There are two ways. The RDK timer, and the OnIdle message.

The RDK timer is the natural choice. After all the RDK is the plugin that handles all that material stuff, so we put our syncing code there. The timer itself is just a simple callback-based timer that fires every 300ms.Since it fires on the main thread, it will not fire if the main thread is busy loading the materials. So far so good. However something changed in Rhino 7.20-ish. If you double click a file, the timer will fire right after OnEndOpenDocument and before a single material is read. If you used drag&drop or recent files menu, the timer fires somewhere in between the process of reading the materials.
    Why that happens - I can speculate for the reason - probably they made something multithreaded. Or the RDK plugin got loaded after V-Ray plugin, and the events are served in the order of loading.. I don't know. Nevertheless, at that point everyone got a "disconnected" or "orphaned' materials problem.

So what we did first is to remove the auto-deletion. So people don't loose materials, but see a message box. At that point we're unsure of what causes the issue, because some users report that they actually opened their models without V-Ray and changed/deleted materials - hence the messages.
    Things got quite a lot clearer, when we started experimenting with heavier scenes, where Rhino takes longer to read the materials, and the timer could potentially fire multiple times.

So we did another attempt to fix the world, by moving the syncing code out of the RDK timer and into the OnIdle message. The OnIdle event comes from the operating system. It basically says the application has no job to do, and awaits user input (like moving your mouse pointer). So the assumption is if the app does nothing, it has loaded the materials. This solution seem much more stable, and that is what we have in 6.00.02 onwards.

McNeel developers, argued that none of the two approaches are good and robust, but there is almost nothing to be done. They still refuse to add a dedicated end loading event, but took another action instead - the RDK plugin will be served first, always. In theory this means that at OnEndOpenDocument() event, the RDK plugin should have already loaded the material table. And when the RDK timer fires for the first time, the material table will be already good to use.

We're not going to move the syncing from the OnIdle message back to the RDK time, though, no matter what McNeel do with the RDK plugin.
    Last edited by nikolay.bakalov; 19-05-2023, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Hello Nikolay,

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain all of this!
      It makes a lot more sense when you put it in context and it is good to know that this is an issue that other people are also experiencing and the team has identified and working on ways to solve it.

I just wanted to repoprt back that after a month of using the currently newest version of V-ray ( 6.10.00 ) with Rhino 7.29.23107 the disconnected materials issue still happens.
      ( This is quite unfortunate as your post made me optimistic that this problem might have been resolved. )

The problem occured on a file that is just over 1GB in size.

Not really sure what my options are to solve this or avoid it from happening as I am already following the published guidelines to the letter.

Given the fact the file is actually ok, and materials become orhaned on opening, could there be some custom workaround for opening bigger files even if it means the loading time is increased?
      Any suggestions or workaround as to how I might be able to open a larger file without messing up the materials is much appreciated.

Comment

Hi again, Deyan.

The size and the complexity of the model could be marked as a clue, but not entirely. Much more important is are within linked files/blocks created with previous versions.
        And unfortunately, the main scenario shows - yes, because professionalists are using already saved templates and custom libraries.

Could you please define is the problematic file entirely created with latest versions and are there external assets (from older projects)?
        Please also keep in mind my previous note.
        Tsvetomira Girginova | chaos.com
        3D Support (AEC,HOU,C4D) Team Lead | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X