Proxies change position after reopening the scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proxies change position after reopening the scene

Hello, we've noticed something odd about proxies - after we copy them into a scene, save and reload the file, the proxies are scattered all over the place. Sometimes they stay in one place and are not affected at all, sometimes one or two get affected, and sometimes half of them are scattered all over map. It doesn't matter whether it is block instance or just proxy. The solution for now seems to either replace the blocks with something else, which makes them fall back into their original position, or changing the scale factor to 0.001 and then back to 1. All of the proxies were created in 0.0.0 position, as well as blocks. It seems to affect either entire collection of proxies created in a separate file, or just couple of them, while the rest stay in place, which is weird considering all of them were created the same way.

Also, after copying blocks into a new scene each proxy carrying the same materials makes a duplicate, which creates a lot of work to clean them up, is this going to be addressed in the next update?
    Matus Nedecky, FlyingArchitecture

I have exactly the same issue. For me if I change the display mode to for example Bounding Box and then change it back to the Preview, it fix the position.
    I have to do this for each Proxy or VRScene I have in the scene.

Comment

Hi guys,

It seems like you’ve experiencing the same issues described in this forum post. The issue is identified and our developers are working on a solution. That being said, you can still forward a sample with the problematic blocks/proxies through our contact form so we can see if there is something additional. Thanks for the understanding and patience!
      Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Hi guys,

This issue is fixed in V-Ray 5 for Rhino, update 1.3

Konstantin

Comment

Thank you for the reply and fixing of this issue.

However, update 1.3 introduced other serious problems which are creating significant setbacks in our workflow (Vray asset editor is suddenly extremely laggy and sluggish, scenes with older versions are causing crashing upon opening...). Also material duplication when copy pasting blocks is still a serious issue, causing literally thousands of duplicated materials (2554 duplicated materials for example took Vray nearly two hours to clean).

Comment

Hi matus.nedecky,

We'll need some additional info to investigate the issues you listed.

Vray asset editor is suddenly extremely laggy and sluggish
            We can't reproduce this behavior here in the office.
            Can you record a video showing this?

scenes with older versions are causing crashing upon opening
            Please share an example project that crashes on load and we'll find what's going on.

Also material duplication when copy pasting blocks is still a serious issue, causing literally thousands of duplicated materials (2554 duplicated materials for example took Vray nearly two hours to clean).
            I'm guessing this behavior has not changed in the update.
            Can you describe the steps you take that lead to the material duplication?
            Note that if you see the '[Imported]' string appended to the material name on Paste - this is Rhino duplicating it and not V-Ray.
            If however the undesired behavior can be avoided when you disable V-Ray - there might be something we can do about it.
            In general Rhino is not making it easy to handle plugin materials when pasting and importing.

Regards,
            Konstantin

Comment

Back to this topic:
              Also material duplication when copy pasting blocks is still a serious issue, causing literally thousands of duplicated materials (2554 duplicated materials for example took Vray nearly two hours to clean).
              Have you tried changing the RenderPasteConflictOption (hidden command in Rhino)to discard incoming materials?
              Using this option should avoid duplication in most cases.

Konstantin

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

1. Concerning the editor - this happens in heavier scenes, upon further investigation it seems that it was present in 1.2 as well - for example, when you create a light it causes lag ranging from several seconds to even a minute, during which you can't do anything in the editor until the light shows up on the list. Another example would be changing Render output resolution, same lag. There seems to be wide range of things triggering this lag...

It seems to be happening when you place lots of heavy geometry in a single file, like 3d people. At first we thought it might be high res textures, but even after lowering to less than 1 MB the lag is still present. Maybe it is lots of Blend materials?

2. Crashing scenes - Most of our older scenes created in version Vray 3.6 are affected. ( for example Humano scanned people , we've managed to open only one collection, the rest are crashing. This also happens with most of our commercial projects, model packs etc....)

Right now, the workaround seems to be rollback to 1.2, save the project in Rhino 7 + Vray 5, and then return to 1.3 and so on. Not sure what happened there....

3. Duplicated materials - Example - A collection of 10 trees in 10 block instances, they all share the same materials, one for leaves, one for bark etc.... when you copy them into a new scene, you get 10 duplicates of each material.

These are different from the ones called Imported, they are each called Leaf 01_albedo#1, Leaf 01_albedo#2, Leaf 01_albedo#3 etc...
                Last edited by matus.nedecky; 27-05-2021, 01:36 AM.

Comment

1. Concerning the editor - this happens in heavier scenes, upon further investigation it seems that it was present in 1.2 as well - for example, when you create a light it causes lag ranging from several seconds to even a minute, during which you can't do anything in the editor until the light shows up on the list. Another example would be changing Render output resolution, same lag. There seems to be wide range of things triggering this lag...
                  This is concerning.
                  We'll do our best to reproduce it and find the cause.

2. Crashing scenes - Most of our older scenes created in version Vray 3.6 are affected. ( for example Humano scanned people , we've managed to open only one collection, the rest are crashing. This also happens with most of our commercial projects, model packs etc....)
                  Right now, the workaround seems to be rollback to 1.2, save the project in Rhino 7 + Vray 5, and then return to 1.3 and so on. Not sure what happened there....
                  The fact that the rollback fixes the issue is good - it means the fix is easy but we have to get our hands on an example scene.
                  Can you share one of the Humano files (test purposes only).

3. Duplicated materials - Example - A collection of 10 trees in 10 block instances, they all share the same materials, one for leaves, one for bark etc.... when you copy them into a new scene, you get 10 duplicates of each material.
                  These are different from the ones called Imported, they are each called Leaf 01_albedo#1, Leaf 01_albedo#2, Leaf 01_albedo#3 etc...
                  This makes sense.
                  I'd assume that the leaves use a two-sided material and the base gets duplicated.
                  We still don't have a good solution for that.
                  I'd actually recommend you use the Translucency attribute of the material instead of creating a top-level two-sided shader.
                  The thing is Rhino is limiting us quite a bit when it comes to paste or importing referenced top-level materials.
                  We are investigating ways to improve this behavior.

Comment

This makes sense.
                    I'd assume that the leaves use a two-sided material and the base gets duplicated.
                    We still don't have a good solution for that.
                    I'd actually recommend you use the Translucency attribute of the material instead of creating a top-level two-sided shader.
                    The thing is Rhino is limiting us quite a bit when it comes to paste or importing referenced top-level materials.
                    We are investigating ways to improve this behavior.
                    Actually there's just one material for leaf, with translucency. This affects every material, like trunk, bark...or concrete. The materials were done from scratch in Vray 5. It is just simple Vray material used in a proxy. So our material editor is like..ten times longer than usually. We've tested both proxy and proxy in block instances, both cases produce duplicates.

We can share you some of our crashing scenes for testing purposes, can you give us email address to send it to?

Comment

Hi matus.nedecky,

I downloaded the scene and was able to reproduce the crash.
                      I'll get back to you when we make progress.

Thank you very much for the report and assistance!

Konstantin

Comment

Hi there,

I am dealing with the exact same issues Matus has described, actually the update has caused things to behave even stranger. It is terrible! My older files (4months) now show nothing on the screen although they render fine.

I am working on a series of large files with numerous trees which have now been thrown all over the place, impossible to work with. Also Whenever I work session these files after even being detached the proxies and material information stay within the editor causing massive delays.

I have a submission very soon and would like to know the solution to this please! Would it be best to revert to an older previous version of Vray?

Best,

Andre Hoelzle de Moraes

Comment

Similar here,

Please fix this asap!!! Thanks...

Comment

Hi guys,

We've just released a hotfix that addresses to of the issues discussed here - the no objects visible in the viewport thing as well as the crashing scenes.

Konstantin

Comment

Thank you for fixing this issue, seems to be working.

Is there any news about the laggy Vray UI in complex scenes? Also, since none of the proxies from previous versions are working in Vray 5.0 (the way their material is assigned is now completely different) is this the new feature or a bug you plan to fix? If it's just the new way, is it going to stay as it is now, because honestly guys, it is very tiring to redo entire databases every year or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X