Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob Issue: Ignore Objects in Secondary not working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob Issue: Ignore Objects in Secondary not working?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	141
Size:	468.0 KB
ID:	1174721 I want to have the ring not reflect the color of the floor, so I created a wrapper of the silver material and enabled ignore objects in secondary thinking it would ignore the floor object and its reflections. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-05 104350.png
Views:	144
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1174722 However switching the ignore setting on and off does nothing to the color of the ring. What am I doing wrong? The layer/materials are set properly Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-05 104431.png
Views:	142
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1174723
    Attached Files

Hello meir_bezner​.

You are on a right way to achieve your aim. You can try the following options:
    • To be sure you applied the right material to the right object you can first select an object and then right click on your Wrapper material in the Asset Editor and click on the "Apply to Selection" option.

Name:	Apply_to_selection.png
Views:	133
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1174756
    • If you still prefer to apply your material to all objects in a layer using the option "Apply To Layer", then first make sure you did not apply any materials on individually selected objects. Then apply the material to the exact layer you want.
    Here is an example:

Name:	Wrapper_mtl.png
Views:	138
Size:	621.8 KB
ID:	1174757

I hope this will help. If you have questions do not hesitate to ask them.

Regards,
    Ivelina
    Attached Files
    Ivelina Mincheva
    V-Ray for SketchUp | V-Ray for Rhino | QA
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Sorry, didn't see anyone had responded. I tried, I have the material applied via "Apply to Selection" and the layer. I still can't figure it out. I've settled with taking 2 frames, one with the background and one without, and photoshopping the reflectionless one overtop in the meantime, but any help would be appriciated! Thanks!

Comment

Hello meir_bezner!

Here is another way to achieve a result with no reflections from the surface (floor) to the object (your ring). As the surface is the one that you do not want to be reflected anywhere, its secondary rays could be overwritten.
        1. Create a new Generic material and set its Opacity to 0. This material is now invisible, so rename it with "Invisible_mtl".
        2. Select your material applied to the floor.
        3. Add an Override attribute from "Add Attribute" option.
        4. For Reflection and GI select the Invisible_mlt.
        As a result, the silver object will not reflect the floor.

Name:	No_reflections_from_the_floor.png
Views:	96
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	1179812

Kind regards,
        Ivelina

Ivelina Mincheva
        V-Ray for SketchUp | V-Ray for Rhino | QA
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...