No announcement yet.

Rhino "Save Textures" & file size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a version of the library that is reduced in size. Please use it with V-Ray version 5.10.04 or newer.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iHC...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

slavcho.brusev
      Thank you for the reply, yesterday I figured out that was part of my problem, so I temporarily renamed the asset folders C:>users>gardi>documents>V-Ray Material Library AEC & assets as "temp AEC" & "temp assets".
      Started rhino, opened Vray asset editor and let the material library download.
      Then made a test file, with significantly smaller file size when using wood, grass, etc.
      I opened my current projects, file size reduced from 56mb to 20mb and vray materials displayed correctly.
      So for now this is working.
      When things slow down for me, I'll take a look at your library link and compare to what I downloaded.
      Glenn

Comment

nikoleta.garkova
        Hello,
        Is this normal?
        I made a file with 2 flat surfaces, one is 5'x5',the other 10'x20'.
        Then applied 2 vary materials:
        Flooring_Laminate_A_Narrow_250cm
        Laminate_D02_120cm
        File was 176kb before applying materials, after it is 34MB
        Here is a screen shot of the material libraries.
        I'm hesitant to install Vray 1.4, since I have several projects in progress.
        And have stopped using Vray materials (wood, grass, concrete, etc).
        Thank you,
        Glenn
        P.s. I haven't downloaded the low resolution files from Slavcho, will that get overwritten by newer Vray assets, sending me back into the same large file loop? Or can I somehow name the folder to avoid that?
        Vray 5.10.04
        Rhino 7 SR6 2021-5-7 (Rhino 7, 7.6.21127.19001
        Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	1115711Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	1115712Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1115713Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	1115714Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1115715

Comment

nikoleta.garkova
          rest of screen grabs

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1115717Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1115718Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1115719

Comment

nikoleta.garkova
            I installed release 1.4, same file size issue as above. I hope Chaos is addressing this issue and fixes it soon.

Glenn

Comment

slavcho.brusev
              nikoleta.garkova

I downloaded the files from your link, they are the same size that I downloaded on 5/26/21.
              Thanks for trying,
              Glenn

Comment

Hi guys,

There are two things you need to know in regards to the Rhino file size and the V-Ray materials.

1. Saving the textures with your Rhino file will always make the file bigger.

Name:	SaveTextures.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1116083
                In my simple test the file was 138 KB without textures and 31.5 MB with the textures.
                There is nothing we can do here since that is how big the textures are and Rhino just includes them in the file.
                I'd recommend disabling the Save Textures option and just using referenced texture files.

2. The textures in the V-Ray material library have been optimized recently (decreased in size).
                The new textures can be downloaded by the latest V-Ray for Rhino version - update 1.4.
                However, if you have already downloaded the library, V-Ray will skip updating it.
                This is done to avoid unnecessary downloads since the textures have not changed visually.
                To make sure you have the smaller version you can just delete the material library folder and download it again (as discussed in the thread already).

Hope that this clarifies things to some extent,
                Konstantin

Comment

konstantin_chaos

Thank you for the reply.
                  I had forgotten about the "save textures" option since there were issues (display, textures being lost, etc) with doing that a couple months ago.
                  A few quick tests this morning indicate those issues appear to be resolved either from Rhino or Vray, and that may be a viable option.
                  Except, not all Vray textures are displaying in the viewport (and yes I am using the correct display mode with Color and material Rendering material).
                  A couple of Vray wood textures display correctly, Vray ground grass doesn't, just a white surface.
                  I'm working 10hours a day x7 for the next couple weeks, so not a lot of time to evaluate. I will when projects are completed.
                  Glenn
                  I'm using Vray 1.4 release & Rhino 7 (latest service release)

Comment

We have identified one issue with the texture previews.
                    It might have caused your blank viewport materials.
                    Basically, Rhino 7 stores its viewport preview caches in the following folder:
                    Code:
                    %temp%\McNeel\Rhino\V7
                    If for whatever reason this folder is missing, when you start Rhino 7 it is not automatically created (Rhino 6 always creates the folder at startup).
                    We rely on this location and if it doesn't exist - no .tx texture previews will be generated.
                    We already have a workaround for this but it did not make it in the last hotfix.
                    If you create this folder manually everything should work fine after that.

Let me know if that helps,
                    Konstantin

Comment

konstantin_chaos

Thank you for the follow up.
                      How do I find that folder location?
                      I turned on view hidden files, but can't locate it.
                      Also, do you think there is any connection with McAfee Quick Clean "tracker remover" it deletes temp files, etc. if Rhino or Vray are storing files in location that McAfee thinks is temp?
                      Glenn

Comment

Working...
                      X