Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay 5 for Rhino - Update 2: Render settings reset and materials gone

Hi,

after installing update 2 for VRay 5 for Rhino the render settings of my project files are set back to default and all my materials and lights are gone.
    We have multiple machines in the office using VRay and luckily we have only installed the update on one of them so we can still render with our old settings/materials/etc on the other machines.
    Nevertheless, we would like to install the update on all of them eventually.

Is there any way we can preserve the old settings and materials? This is a really big issue for us since we often need to go back to previous projects to update certain images.

Thanks in advance.

Hey la812,

What was the previous V-Ray version used? Opening projects after an update should not cause render settings to reset;
    Are the materials and lights completely gone from the Asset Editor? Or are you able to see them, but they are not showing up when rendering?

Is it possible to forward one such file which we could check and troubleshoot (we need a file saved prior to the update, so we can replicate the issue accordingly)?
    You can send it via our contact form, just make sure to mention this thread in the subject.
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Hi Nikoleta,

thanks for the quick reply.

The version used before the update was V-Ray for Rhinoceros 7 "5.10.06 (06 0ffe7fc0d) Jul 27 2021",
      the new version is "5.20.01 (01 e0318a79) Nov 3 2021".

When I tried to recreate the problem in order to send you the files, the materials surprisingly showed up in the asset editor when I re-opened the file (without having saved it - I opened the old version again).
      So now, it seems that everything is back to normal and it only happens when you open a file right after the update for the first time.

There were no lights and materials shown in the asset editor and everything was rendered with the default material and the clipping planes were also ignored.

I will install the update on another computer now to see if it's really only happening with the very first file you open right after the installation.

The strange thing is that the materials were not showing up in the asset editor at all and that it was not about, for instance, updating bitmap file paths.

In case there's a problem with the updates on the other computers, I'll send you the files.

Comment

Hi la812,

We would generally recommend to open an empty Rhino project, set V-Ray as a renderer and close it before opening your older projects after an update.

https://docs.chaos.com/display/VRHIN...-First-timeuse

In case you encounter similar issues after complying with this recommendation, do let us know as soon as possible so we can troubleshoot. Much appreciated
        Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Working...
        X