Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-Ball - black spots

This will be useful for all...

Saad mentioned a problem with the V-Ray rendering that other renderers did not have in his post http://www.asgvis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26 . The cause of this problem is overlapping faces. See this image:

I exploded the model and removed 9 faces that were overlapping.

A quikc render from V-Ray for Rhino shows the problem goes away.

A 3dm scene with a new layer called overlap can be downloaded for your review.

http://www.asgvis.com/posts/face_fixed.rar

Best Regards,

Corey
    Best regards,

Corey Rubadue
    Director

Chaos Group

8-Ball - black spots

Mostly for me - overlapping surfaces render pretty strange. Couple of hours ago - tried to mesh a polysurface, but forgot, that Rhino won't delete this polysurface. And I pressed render

P.S. Oh, I forgot - do I need to resize it ?

I just can't seem to trust myself
    So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    CG Artist

Comment

8-Ball - black spots

Paul,

Is there an instance that you would want overlapping faces?

There is no need to mesh as far as V-Ray for Rhino is concerned. Why are you meshing in the first place? Is this part of your everyday workflow?

Best regards,

Corey
      Best regards,

Corey Rubadue
      Director

Chaos Group

Comment

8-Ball - black spots

I think the answer is no. But situations, when I need meshing are also possible.
        I just can't seem to trust myself
        So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
        ---------------------------------------------------------
        CG Artist

Comment

8-Ball - black spots

Thanks Corey!

/BlueShift

Comment

8-Ball - black spots

There are many cases with overlapping faces. In conceptual models with overlapping cubical shapes for example. But that's what the secondary ray bias is for, yet in this build it doesn't seem to work. Here you can find the exact same case as Paul posted and the solution:

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/VRay...s_switches.htm
            You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

8-Ball - black spots

BTW: there are also many cases that you don't want to use the global mesh settings, I wish that Rhino had object or layer based meshing as an option.
              Sometimes the global mesh is good except for a few objects. When rendering a few smaller objects in a larger room for example, you don't want to use nurbs walls, but rather a minimum-setting mesh copy of it.
              You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

Working...
              X