Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Silent, overclocked PC for less money (E6600 / Q6600)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Silent Dualcore E6600@2.9GHz for less money

Many thanks for the replys - I think it might be a QX6700 for the time being!

Any thoughts on make of RAM, or Graphics cards??

Cheers

Comment

My hint for a TFT -> EIZO S2100. EIZO is a manufactor of hardware calibrated monitors, so I trust, that the know-how will be used for the "cheaper" one too. The monitor use a build in light sensor and dim the brightness independent from the room brightness. Nice feature, I like it.
      www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

I read some infos about AIR coolers in the last days. Result: if quiet and cool AIR cooler, than Scythe Infinity.

At the moment I have fun with undervolting. My Q6600 2.4GHz @2.7GHz at 1.185V Vc (BIOS) and lowe fan speed stay below 40°C at full load.
        Speedfan tell me, that under full load the Vc is 1.12V. It seems to be, testing the undervoltage is a must. If the volatge is to low, than at startup the BIOS bring a message and the value can be changed again.

Comment

Update: BIOS Vcore 1,275V + FSB 332 -> 3GHz and case temp ~42°C (open PC case)

Cinebench 2003 -> ~1660

At OC forums I read, if the Vcore is at standard value fixed (not auto mode) or lower, than the CPU can not be killed by overclocking, only the system could work instable.

Befor the system was instable, because the BIOS set the RAM timings per automatic, but since I set the RAM timings manualy, it works above FSB 310.

Comment

Update: the current Q6600 g0 stepping Quadcore works phantastic (ASUS P5K)-> 3.4GHz, lowest speed of a Zalman 9700 CPU cooler and CPU case temp appox. 42°C.

I used the overclocking settings from here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/de/foren...bil-ubertakten

Comment

Re: OT: Silent, overclocked PC for less money (E6600 / Q6600)

In the last days I used a 350W power supply for my render slaves, but under full CPU power, the power supply fans start to turn noiseful. So I changed back the 350W and got new 500W supplies like at my master engine - great, four overclocked Quadcores in the room, but only a very light noise only.
              So, what I want to tell is, 350W have enough power for overclocked Q6600 (meassured 200W), but small power supplies seems to need more air flow cooling and create more noise. So, if you like to work in silence, than buy big quiet power supplies.

Comment

Working...
              X