No announcement yet.

Scaling 1D a procedural Noise texture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaling 1D a procedural Noise texture?

Is there a way to scale-1D the procedural noise texture in vrfr4 or 3?
    The "repeat u-v" in the texture editor does not give result.

I'm planning to use displaced noise for a sea texture on a project involving sea scape. But the result i get today is more like troubled water than sea. It lacks of "direction", no swell feeling. 1D scale would probably solve my probleme.
    I could also use it to make nice cloudy backround...

Marc

Re: Scaling 1D a procedural Noise texture?

You will have to go through and create a texture mapping on the object (as you would an image) and use that to scale the texture in the way you want it.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

I believe the noise texture in its current state doesn't pay attention to uvw information. Its something I've meant to change a for a while but forgot about it. The original noise texture in the V-Ray SDK generates its noise based on the position in the scene. So as you have found the hard way - it will ignore your scaling stuff. The reason we've not fixed it yet was primarily because we don't want to change the behavior in anyone's existing scenes. But I'm sure we can find a way around that. Sorry for the inconvenience
      Best regards,
      Joe Bacigalupa
      Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Thanks Dalomar and Joe for your answer,

I ceated a texture mapping on my object and, indeed, it did not work.
        Seems that the noise do not read uvw informations as Joe says.

I'll create my noise with photoshop then, unless somenone pops up with a trick...

cheers

Comment

I got it to work for me...maybe it only works with planar mapping (I was also using the checker procedural)...I'll try to post some examples later...or maybe its not working with bumps/displacement? I don't think you should have to use a pre-generated texture, but I'll check it out
          Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

i tried in the diffuse slot using planar mapping and it did not work...
            Procedural checker works.
            Using noise for the Black color of a checker and scaling the checker do not scale the noise either... for me a least.
            or i am doing wrong..?

Comment

Originally posted by dalomar
              I got it to work for me...maybe it only works with planar mapping (I was also using the checker procedural)...
              Right - the checker does pay attention to UVW. The noise doesn't. He is correct that it isn't working.
              Best regards,
              Joe Bacigalupa
              Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Working...
              X