v4 Sun/Sky Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v4 Sun/Sky Questions

I'm having difficulty with sun/sky. If I set a sun, use default physical camera, and set my env GI and background to sky, set their light to "light01" that was created for sun, override sun settings- the shadows are darker than I want. I want to change the ratio of sun/sky, like a hazy day. If I change the sky intensity, it doesn't seem to affect the GI. Sun/sky seem still connected. I changed the sky multiplier, but I don't think that's right. I played with ozone and turbidty and ran out of patience.

I want more subtle shadows, like in Micha's recent grass post. Can anyone share some settings?

Re: v4 Sun/Sky Questions

My first things would be to make sure that you have gamma options enabled (in Global Switches|Gamma 2.2 | Affect RGB+LDR Textures). Now that that is out of the way, also make sure that your sky is taking its values from the sun. Right next to where you point the sky to the correct sun is the option to take the sky's values from it (by default it overrides the sun settings). If the two aren't connected, it becomes a bit harder to gauge the complete affect because the sun is doing one thing and the sky is doing another. I only disconnect them to make subtle differences between the two. Ozone will probably not do anything for what your trying to achieve as this controls the color of the sun. Turbidity may do a little for you, and it may not, as this is meant to simulate the colors/appearance of a hazy day, but not necessarily the illumination qualities. Personally, I get a little weary of higher turbidity settings, as this leads to a mustard/brown kind of color.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Okay, but I thought if I wanted the sky to make more of an influence than the sun, I should disconnect them. So when I connect them I should then only play with the object light settings?

Thanks,
      Craig

Comment

Craig, your words in Joe's ear. I have started a sky/sun wish thread at the wish forum: independent control for sun and sky. The sun intensity should control the sun only!

http://www.asgvis.com/index.php?opti...0&topic=2057.0

For example I try to take photo of a building, but the sun is to intensiv. What I do? I wait for the next little cloud that dim the direct sun light. At Vray sun I can simulate the cloud by sun radius, but I can not control the intensity.

.... but good news for you Craig, there is a trick: set the environment texture multiplier at 4 for example. Now, only the sky is 4 times brighter, but not the sun. Strange, not like at the real world, but it works fine.

Joe, you never comment the sun intensity wish. We know now, that it is possible to independent control sun and sky, why not implement it in a logical way?
        www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Okay, I didn't experiment enough with that. If I go to 16 on the GI env multiplier and down to .25 on the sunlight intensity it gets me what I want.
          I can live with that.

Thanks,
          Craig

Comment

Working...
          X