Cloudy Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloudy Image

I'm having some very good results with Vray. I forgot how good the support is, how fast Vray renders and how easy it is to work with the program inside of Rhino.

However, I'm not 100% adept and certain things still stump me. In the attached image, I'm relatively happy with the overall quality. All I did was increase the passes using Irradiance to reduce artifacts.

My problem is, the image looks flat, almost cloudy. I'm aiming for a nice, crisp white model with some contrast for impact and no artifacts.

Does anyone have any tips they would like to share for achieving the above?

Regards,
    Bill

Re: Cloudy Image

The reason why the image lacks the contrast your looking for is due to the fairly uninteresting lighting. I know your going for a simple, clean look, but the GI is very flat. A simple solution is make a studio type HDR that will keep the model simple, yet add some contrast. You could do that through some simple photo shop work or recreate one in v-ray. There was also a really good one that was on the forum a while back so I will see if I can track that one down for you.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Here's the link I was talking about.
      http://www.asgvis.com/index.php?opti...0&topic=1204.0
      Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Hi Dalomar,

Thank you for the response. Below is another go at my scene based on your suggestion. I used the actual HDR image from the example. My results look a lot less cloudy and flat, with some optimizing still needing to be done on the shadows.

I could still use some feedback on improving the quality. So any suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
        Bill

Comment

Against the "clouds" it helps to use more IM subdivs, but you could go an other way too: use a more samples to interpolate the calculation (you lost clouds and details) and enable detail enhancement. This is an ambient occlusion based refinement of the details. So, you can use raw, soft, fast IM settings (undersampling -1 should be good enough), but get your details. Play a little. For your need DE could be the best.

General look: often I disable "clamp output" (color mapping options) and use the frame buffer curve to enhance the contrast - a "S" curve helps. Per RMB click you can save your correction curve for later use. Also, an other method, if your lighting is so smooth, you could set the input gamma for textures/colors at standard 2.2, but the output gamma at 2 or 1.8.
          www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Working...
          X