Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picture Frame / Reflected image

Hi guys:

I'm using a Rhino Picture frame to reflect a street scene and sky in my building. The problem is that when I make the Picture frame high enough to reflect the sky with clouds in the upper windows...it blocks the physical sun out. How do I get my street scene to reflect + reflect the sky with clouds in all the windows? I tried using a sky image in the reflection environment, but it seems to stretch and expand it so it looks fake...
    I there a way to get the Picture frame to work? It seems very simple

Re: Picture Frame / Reflected image

No way around the shadow of the picture frame surface (I suppose so it's on the wishlist), but you could use a highres HDRI environment, for example from www.spectralogue.com .

http://www.spectralogue.com/textures/index.php
    www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

I think about your problem more ... and find a solution, I hope so. ;D

Set your picture frame surface with a textured emitter material and set the transparency color at 254. So, your picture frame surface should not show a visible shadow, maybe a very little bit. And now increase the intensity of the emitter texture until you can see the surface again. Ready. I havn't tested this trick so I'm very curious now. Maybe you must disable the reflection/background environment.

Comment

Very interesting solution...I'll have to try that and see if it works.
        Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

That doesn't seem to work, just makes the image gray. Any other way to workaround this? I've cut out the buildings in photoshop, but the picture frame applies a white background. It seems impossible to have my building image, and a sky to reflect in some windows...and show through others?

Comment

Best you use a 360° for background/reflection - standard jpg or HDRI. Simple method: download a sky from www.100skies.com and if it is half spherical only, set vertical repeat 2. For highres textures look at flickr.com (search at the forum here for the flickr.com thread).

Comment

The part about reflecting the sky environment I understand. But I need to show the contextual buildings that are across the street in: a) window reflections, and b) through the ground level windows. The reflections aren't quite as important, but seeing through the glass is VERY important, to show what is opposite the building...

Comment

Ok, so let us don't forget, if you place building pictureframes, than it is not a problem that this build cast a shadows - that's life. So, you could create the area around your building with simple box buildings with textured facades - a scale model city area - high detail main building and textured box buildings around.

If you need buildings without shadow, than it seems to be, the best way to use a HDRI of a city environment. Here you could find a high res free street HDRI:

http://www.spectralogue.com/textures/index.php?path=50

Also at flickr.com you could find high res city environments.

http://www.asgvis.com/index.php?opti...sg8783#msg8783

Or the two-pass-method: your render your scene without picture frames around and black environment. Than you disable all lights/GI (global switches) and render the scene again with selfemitting picture frames and background like you want. The goal is to get a rendering with reflections only that can be combine with the first one - the diffuse color rendering. Should not be so much extra work - the rendering without lights/GI should be fast. So, you could get maximum control.

For the view through the ground level windows: you could place a large soft studio ground and map a photo on it. The key word is frontal or camera mapping. A mapping tool can be found at the render tool thread and you can see some example images at my gallery.

http://news2.mcneel.com/scripts/dnew...m=249193&utag=

http://news2.mcneel.com/scripts/dnew...m=249660&utag=

Comment

In terms of seeing through the ground floor windows, wouldn't placing a plane behind the building cast a shadow, the same as a picture plane?

Comment

Hmm, yes, but your sun is not so low and I think, you could place the soft studio ground plane so, that no shadow is visible. I see, it's not easy.

Comment

Working...
                    X