Controlling transparency of 2D Billboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controlling transparency of 2D Billboards

Following the Making Materials pdf tutorial I was able to create the 2D billboards of people but does anyone know if there is a way to then control the transparency of the masked image? When you use a transparency mask on the Diffuse layer it takes your ability to manipulate the gradient of transparency (black to white). Any ideas? I played around with it for a while today and can't seem to come up with a good solution.

Re: Controlling transparency of 2D Billboards

What you want to get?

The transparency map controlls the transparency - white->100% ... black->0% ... all values between black and white are allowed ... if I remember me right, best use RGB images instead grey format. So some thoughts to the subject.
    www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

I know about the transparency adjustment using the colors, black to white.
      My problem is that when I set an alpha channel bitmap in Transparency it then seems to take away that ability to control the transparency of the color on the same diffuse layer. If I add another layer, Diffuse1, then I can still control the transparency layer but again I want to control the transparency of the original Diffuse layer.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to do so maybe I will try to do a couple of screen shots if it's still confusing.

Any suggestions.

Comment

Sorry. I forgot to mention that I tried this with alpha channel images in both RGB and Grayscale modes. Same result.

Thanks Micha.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrod K
          My problem is that when I set an alpha channel bitmap in Transparency it then seems to take away that ability to control the transparency of the color on the same diffuse layer.
          Ah, ok, that's normal, if you use a map, than the color setting is ignored. You can use the texture multiplier only or if you like to adjust the "black" of the map, than you must do it per adjust the map at an image software.
          www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Thanks Micha. That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something or some other little trick that would make this work.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X