Volume Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume Light

Volume Light would be a great feature to have i'm thinking of settings like in V-Ray for Max. Any hints on if it will be available in the future?

Re: Volume Light

Light wishes? One more: I miss to project images with the light source and IES support.
    www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

I believe vfmax uses Max's volume light controls, and since there is no counterpart in Rhino right now, that would be something that we would have to look into supporting ourselves or hope RDK adds some sort of volume light support that we can tie into. I bet the former is more of a possibility than the latter, but Joe would be more of a definitive answer on whether we could add that into our setup.

As for image mapping to lights, I'll sign up for that one. IES lights should become available in the SDK in the coming months, so we will be looking to get those in when they become available.
      Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

I'll add one more... lights in some sort of recognizable unit... watts, etc. Rather than "Multiplier".

Comment

Yes, this size dependent lights are not a good deal.
          www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Originally posted by dalomar

As for image mapping to lights, I'll sign up for that one. IES lights should become available in the SDK in the coming months, so we will be looking to get those in when they become available.
            looking forward to this because it is a must.

Renee

Comment

Originally posted by bdcali
              I'll add one more... lights in some sort of recognizable unit... watts, etc. Rather than "Multiplier".
              Just a note about measuring lights in something other than multipliers: The lights themselves will have to be expressed in photometric units. Watts themselves are actually not a photometric unit, but a measurement of power (or energy depending on how you look at it). So although the units will be quantifiable, the units may not necessarily be familiar (lumens and candelas to name two). I'm sure there is information out there on how to translate some of these units into something that is more familiar, but I don't know of any at the moment. When we bring those features in, we will make sure that the appropriate resources are available.

Comment

Originally posted by dalomar
                ... the units may not necessarily be familiar (lumens and candelas to name two). I'm sure there is information out there on how to translate some of these units into something that is more familiar, but I don't know of any at the moment. When we bring those features in, we will make sure that the appropriate resources are available.
                That sounds good. Flamingo had an "Output in Watts", which to be honest, I'm not sure what that equaled considering the light also had a "Light Intensity" option too. I found myself primarily using IES lights in Flamingo, so my experience is a bit limited.

Comment

Originally posted by bdcali
                  I found myself primarily using IES lights in Flamingo, so my experience is a bit limited.
                  IES lights are really the easiest way to go, just because the intensity is defined as well as the distribution patterns and what not. Also because you can actually get IES lights from lighting manufacturers, it can be a very accurate way to light a scene if you know which fixtures are going to be used.

Comment

IES lights and physical light units were released in the sdk recently. Its a bit late in the game to get them in now - but they will make it to us soon.
                    Best regards,
                    Joe Bacigalupa
                    Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Working...
                    X