Catcher/Constant Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catcher/Constant Material

Hi, all...I'm new to the forums and kind of new to this engine, so I apologize in advance if this has already been mentioned. On to the wishing part....

Wish 1: Catcher Material

I dont know how many of you are familiar with Form-Z but it possesses one, and only one feature which I miss out of the whole program and that is a catcher material for a ground plane. Basically you pick a color and the entire plane is one CONSTANT color. It can be very useful for POP (point of purchase) and product renderings where an environment is a distraction when you're just putting the object itself on a clean presentation board. It CAN, however, have object reflections and object shadows cast onto it if desired. This, as far as I know, can't be achieved in vray. While vray does have impressive results in an even more impressive amount of time it is frustrating to try and achieve a material which produces a consistent color across the entire surface. It would also be nice if you could use an HDR map and have to option for the catcher material not to reflect the HDR map while the object does.

Wish 2: Render Objects to Separate Layers
    Once again, this may be possible but I'm just not aware of it. I design paintball products and we use renderings for product configurators on our website because you cant take a photo thats not in perspective which makes lining things up orthographically, impossible. It would save lots of PS time if I could just select the layer the desired object is on.

Wish 3: Separate reflection and highlight under--Reflection!?!?!
    In the vray material editor there is a reflection layer which controls the reflection AND highlight of an object. This, among other things, to me doesnt make sense and is extremely annoying. I'm used to materials and subsequently editing materials in flamingo, which, is the most intuitive and easy to use, but sadly, also the crappiest engine I've ever used in terms of lighting and shadows...but its very easy to get a material looking really close to how I want it FAST.

It seems to me like you should be able to put the highlight and reflection on separate layers. The highlight option is missing a HUGE part of the controls it SHOULD have. A highlight, in my opinion should not be expressed ONLY in terms of "glossiness" but rather in terms of "sharpness/glosiness" AND INTENSITY/SIZE/SPREAD as well. The reason I suggest this is I have to render lots of anodized aluminum which is either polished or blasted. I have not yet created a material I feel is accurate. In the case of polished anodized aluminum the actual anodizing creates a very broad AND intense highlight BUT the polishing has crisp clean reflection. It seems as though when I try to make a broad highlight in vray its not very intense....and when its intense its not very broad....this is a problem.

Wish 4: Make it more SIMPLE/user friendly
    Since I dont have a degree in quantum physics OR a multi-million dollar lab at my disposal, I would like to be able to use sliders when possible and terms that are broadly understood. For instance...I dont know how an object IOR scientifically works, nor do I want to...I'm a product designer. In stead of clicking M, then fresnel, then adjusting Fresnel IOR and refract IOR....10, 1.25 for a blurry finish..i would rather have a slider 1-100 for a BLURRY REFLECTION! Thats just one example.

Those are my 2 cents.
    Thanks,
    -Dan

Re: Catcher/Constant Material

Wish 1
    We have had several users ask for some added groundplane type materials similar to the one you're asking for. If you could post a link to a more detailed explanation/example that would be very helpful.

Wish 2
    Currently its not possible to render to different layers, but there is an Object ID render channel that could be used to select specific objects in photoshop. Unfortunately this we don't have it currently, as we are waiting on this and a few other render channels to be released to us in the SDK.

In the meantime, you could rerender the objects you want just for their alpha channels so that you can use that alpha channel in photoshop. Micha has a script in his toolbar collection that will render selected objects, which you can find here. I've attached a visopt that will do a really quick rendering so that you can use the alpha channel. Just remember to set your resolution and change the AA settings to what you had for the full render. (just to let you know the rendering will be black...the alpha will still be there)

Wish 3
    If you could post an example of the material you're having trouble with I'm sure that we can help you, but I don't forsee a change in the material structure any time soon.

Wish 4
    We are in the process of changing our UI so that it is easier/more intuitive for new users and better to work with for our existing users. There is a discussion in another thread so feel free to chime in.
    http://www.asgvis.com/index.php?opti...0&topic=2413.0
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Catcher/Constant Material examples

dalomar, here are some examples of the catcher plane from the formZ website. They're not stellar but hopefully they give you a rough idea of what I'm talking about.

As you can see in the image the background and ground plane are PURE white. NO shading, no hot spots from lights, no fall off...only the solid color you pick. It DOES however receive and display object shadows and reflections. (reflections not shown in examples)This material option is simple but allows for a clean dynamic result in presentation boards. I'll post some personal images rendered in formZ, Flamingo, and Vray to show the differences as soon as I can remember my comcast personal web page account info! Another option I like in flamingo is self luminance....which adjusts object/decal brightness but is not an emitter. This almost works for a catcher plane in flamingo...but it drowns out the shadows and reflections way too much. I suppose the multiplier may achieve similar results though?

Comment

Working...
      X