V-ray materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-ray materials

Is there any specific reason to why doesn't ASGVIS allow us to use exactely the same tipe of file that VRAY for MAX uses?

This would apen a lot of doors for new materials and would eliminate the strange need of the converter that requires max.....

I guess that some options of the materials that max supports aren't 100% implemented in Rhino yet, but i think it makes much more sense to work in supporting 100% max materials.

Thanks
    Sergio

Re: V-ray materials

Yes, it wonder me too, Rhino+Vray are the chance for designer and architects to work for a good software price. But for material conversation is Max needed again. :-\

If 3dsmax is a must, maybe an online translator could be a solution.
    www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

The V-Ray for Max materials are Max materials...so its not like there is some difference between the max materials and the vfMax materials they are all "the same". The whole reason why we don't have a standalone translator is because of the format itself. There isn't any documentation on the structure of the max material files. On top of that, there is no way to tell how the V-ray specific information is written to the file. So the only way we could find to retrieve the information from the file is to load it up in max, read the info via maxscript/plugin, and then export that information. Is it ideal?...No, but at this point its that or nothing. We've proposed a universal V-ray format to the ChaosGroup, but this hasn't been adopted. Hopefully, with V-ray for Maya, C4D, and XSI on the way they will work in a universal format. If they do, then we will most certainly support it. Hopefully this explains things a bit more.
      Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Thanks Damien.

Comment

NP

Comment

Hi Damien

long term...but maybe good news in the long run.

I don't understand why caosgroup didn't want a universal format.......

Thanks for the clarification

Sergio

Comment

Perhaps this is something that Vlado could shed some light on or write? Obviously he knows how they write the materials into max files. Maybe he can write something?

Comment

Originally posted by Micha
                If 3dsmax is a must, maybe an online translator could be a solution.
                Any thoughts about the idea to create a online converter based on a 3dsmax at an ASGvis computer? Mat files are small and the traffic should be not so high.

Comment

Maybe I should just get on some MAXScript and get to some converting...just a thought

Comment

I´d like to ask the asgvis people to put the photo of all materials in the download area of this site. It will make easier to choose the material that people look for. Something like the "Vray Materials" site. Just an idea. (Sorry about the bad english)

Thanks

Fabio

Comment

I would have to say that the ongoing discussion about materials is unbelievable. It is a year ago that this thread started. I think that it is embarassing. If there is a converter that works in Max to produce VfR materials why don't we just pay money for someone to do it? Or even.....ASGVIS? Lack of materials is a serious issue with VfR. The materials on this (asgvis) site are very hard to view/download although a new interface was promised some time ago. I would think that a good material library would be much more valuable in terms of potential sales than a new website.
                      If there is someone out there that can do this tell ASGVIS via this forum or contact me directly.
                      Git 'er dun.

Comment

Today is the third time when I really went looking/digging for materials and guess what, I couldn't find any except for stupid 3DS max materials which even after downloading a trial version of max and a trial of vray for max I still couldn't get materials to translate. Look at the run-on sentence you made me write!

One month, that's time I give ASGVIS before I switch to maxwell where I can get better material support.

Comment

Originally posted by bradford
                          One month, that's time I give ASGVIS before I switch to maxwell where I can get better material support.
                          In this time, there Maxwell is rendering images, you could create your own VfR material library. Sorry, I can't resist. I own a Maxwell license here since years, but havn't installed it because the long render times. If you look at render speed and DR support you will not find a true alternative for VfR. Best you compare the user count of the chaosgroup and nextlimit forum - impressiv relation. I would jump to 3dsmax+Vray or Vray for Cinema.

Comment

Its a bad idea to make your decision on materials alone. V-Ray and Maxwell are apples and oranges, so materials really can't bridge the gap that makes Maxwell more viable. As Micha said, you could make a library of materials in the time it takes for your Maxwell render. We've got quite a number of materials on our site and we have a few users who are hosting their own materials...not 3ds ones, but vismats. Micha's also made a great tutorial that goes over a number of materials and ways to create them. We just posted a series of video tutorials, half of which are dedicated to materials. My opinion is that most good materials come down to textures, which can be retrieved from anywhere, including materials from other engines. And if you make a good material...share it. If you don't, who will? and then the library doesn't get any bigger.

Main material downloads page (almost 200):
                            http://asgvis.com/index.php?option=c...c=select&id=16

SwissCad's materials (160+)
                            http://asgvis.com/index.php?option=c...25046#msg25046

Micha's material tutorial
                            http://asgvis.com/index.php?option=c...d=30&Itemid=57

Video tutorials
                            http://asgvis.com/index.php?option=c...=75&Itemid=368

And it might be a good idea to install the V-Ray Express toolbar. It has a good handful of materials (20-30 I believe) that are a good base materials for many standard material types. Just run the Toolbar command, then load the toolbar, which is in [root]:\Program Files\Rhinoceros 4.0\Plug-ins\VRayForRhino\Misc

Comment

Working...
                            X