Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sketchup Tile procedure U/V Scale .... I have something wrong here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sketchup Tile procedure U/V Scale .... I have something wrong here.

Hello, Vray Next for sketchup 2020, using the tile procedure to create a material... somewhere I have something wrong. Can anyone help?

Basically...
    file is in cm (don't ask why, it just is)
    If I have a specific tile, say this one, https://www.mandarinstone.com/produc...sky-porcelain/ which comes in a 120cmx120cm
    If I make a normal diffuse colour bitmap material, then I just link to this texture, set the the texture size in sketch up to 120cmx120cm and image renders fine. Simple - But thats not the control I need, no grout lines, no fade/colour variance, no way to control the tile bond etc.

So, I tried to make a material using the tile procedure, with the original bitmap being a down in the hierarchy as "tile colour"

I would have expected the everything to have U/V repeats as 1/1 But...
    it displays as expected in the asset editor, with the fade variance, grout lines etc laid over the base image. however, in the renders, the U/V scale of the bitmap is miles out. The tile grout lines are right, but the bitmap scale is 100x or so what I expected it to be.

If I go in and play with the Repeat U/V at the end of the hierarchy under tile colour and set these to U/V Repeat = 100/100, Its closer, but something is out, as the bitmap placement does not align with the grout lines.

I've got something simple wrong somewhere. Any suggestions?

Whats the trick to set things two when you know the size of the tiles?

Thanks

Here (A) is an example. Here the Tile colour U/V settings are 1/1
    The tiles grout is correct, but the bitmap scale is wrong.

Where as (B), has the Diffuse colour > tiles > Colour Tile : Texture placement: Repeat U/V set to 100/100
    The bitmap is starting to appear the correct scale, but its out from its parent scale, and its completely out in the asset manager.

Is it all to do with the cm scale? Once, long long ago, Vray used to go a bit strange when the units were mm. So I defaulted to using cm, which used to work better in the old days.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello, Can anyone help with this? Where am I going wrong? Thanks

Comment

Hi rob_fjs,

The following steps should give you the result you're after:
        1. Create a material and add tiles in the diffuse slot
        2. Set the tiles horizontal and vertical count as you wish and leave the tile map repeat at 1
        3. Add the bitmap to the tile color slot
        4. Set the bitmap repeat to match the horizontal and vertical count of the tile texture
        5. Set any material size that you want in SketchUp
        There is an example vrmat file attached.

Hope that helps.
        If it doesn't please share an example file for me to look at.

Regards,
        Konstantin
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you so much. I will try this and report back.

Comment

Working...
          X