Vray 5 crash when rendering in RTX mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 5 crash when rendering in RTX mode

Hi Team - I just starting using Vray 5 in Sketchup 2021 on my new PC with RTX 3080. However I have been having issues the whole day. When I work in Interactive mode Vray becomes unstable. Also when I want to do a production render I can perhaps do 1 or 2 renders then Sk/Vray crashes and my PC shows a blue screen.I have restart and start over again.

Please , please help. I have just started to test out Vray5 and enjoying the new features but this is really hard to work with crashing.

Thank you.

Hi Team - I tested D5 Render and Lumion 11 doing some production renders and my PC work fine. I also did a test in Vray 5 again and the program crashed with a blue screen with notification that the my PC is collection info.

My CPU is a Intel i9 -10900K @ 3.7 GHz. GPU RTX 3080.
    Windows 10, RAM 64GB

Comment

Morning Team - I have run Vray Benchmark 5.00.01 test on my new CPU / GPU workstation and it performed fine.

But Vray still crashe when I want to render in production RTX mode .

Please advise. Thank you.

Comment

Hi waldob

Apologies for the delay in our reply.

Can you please let me know a few additional things so we can try and resolve this as soon as possible:
        • Is this happening with a specific project, or are these crashes occurring even in empty ones? If it is project specific, can you please forward the files with all its assets (use the Pack Project tool from Extensions > V-Ray > Pack Project) through our contact form. Don't forget to mention this thread in the email.
        • You've mentioned that you sometimes can do 1-2 successful renders before it crashes - can you recall any steps to reproduce the crash? Do you see any errors/warnings in the V-Ray Progress Window?
        • When the program crashes, a crash dump file should be automatically created - it would be great if you can share the file (again, through our contact form) so we can check if it can point us to the culprit. You can find the dump files in the following location: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp or simply type %temp% in your file explorer - look for recent .dmp files.
        Last edited by nikoleta.garkova; 11-01-2021, 06:50 AM.
        Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Hi Nikoleta - I created a new file to test the different render modes. After about 20 mins SK crashed again.

Thank you.

It does not allow me to attached a Sketchup dmp file in this platform?

Will send it via my email to support.

Comment

Hi Nikoleta - I have installed the latest Nvidia driver 461.09 on my pc a couple of days ago. I notice with Vantage when I open up it recommended using 457.09 and not the latest. Does Vray 5 have a recommendation driver version? Perhaps it does not perform well on the 461.09 ??

Comment

Hi waldob,

If a brand new scene still causes a crash, this means that there is something specific on your system causing it.
              One thing you can try is updating your GPU drivers to the latest version (you can also share the driver version that you're on).
              Another possibility is that this is somehow a memory issue.
              Running out of vram often times leads to crashes without anything being logged.
              You can keep an eye on the mem usage in the task manager:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	memory02.jpg
Views:	2012
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	1098509

I'll also consult with someone from the GPU team and get back to you.

Konstantin

Comment

Hi Konstantin - thank you for your reply. I have installed the latest drivers 461.09 release date 01/07/2021.
                I have 64 GB ram the project file is only 16 MB in size. This is very small. The other project I first work on when installing the new Vray 5 was 31MB. Do not think this is a memory issue? However I will test the file again and monitor the GPU memory. My RTX 3080 has 10 GB dedicated memory.

Thank you.

Comment

There is something else that you can try by the following steps:
                  1. Open the Start menu
                  2. Search for 'Registry Editor' and open it
                  3. Navigate to the following folder in the tree structure on the left:
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\GraphicsDrivers
                  4. Change the TdrDelay value to 8 or 10 (if it was 2, it might have caused the issue)

Comment

Thank you Konstantin - my value was 100! I'm changing this to 8 now.

Comment

What does this value setting do - if you can explain in short?

Comment

Konstantin - please see attached. RTX interactive HIGH seem to be ok. Progressive RTX on also ok. No errors in Progress window.

But when I render CUDA progressive (CPU and GPU) I get a error also the finished render is very noisy! When I only use GPU in CUDA mode it seems to be ok.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I also notice that in the Progress window it says CUDA driver installed is newer than the latest verified one. Is this a problem. Please see attached.
                          Attached Files

Comment

What does this value setting do - if you can explain in short?
                            The TdrDelay is measured in seconds and is kind of a fail safe mechanism.
                            If a specific GPU code takes longer than 2 seconds for example it'll be force stopped.
                            If the value is set higher this should not be an issue.

I also notice that in the Progress window it says CUDA driver installed is newer than the latest verified one. Is this a problem. Please see attached.
                            This should not be an issue, but we'll test the new drivers here for good measure.

But when I render CUDA progressive (CPU and GPU) I get a error also the finished render is very noisy! When I only use GPU in CUDA mode it seems to be ok.
                            This looks like a different issue ("Unhandled exception...").
                            It might be caused by a specific material or effect in your scene.
                            Can you share the project for us to test?

Konstantin

Comment

Hi,

After the installation of VRay 5 for Sketchup, Lumion 11 detects an error on the value of this variable (which was 10) and proposes to change it to 64.

Does this pose a problem with VRay 5 for Sketchup?

I never had this error with Lumion 11 when VRay Next for Sketchup was installed.
                              Windows 10 - RTX 3090 - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - 128 Go RAM
                              Sketchup PRO 23.0.419 + V-Ray 6.20.02
                              3DS Max 2024.2.1 + V-Ray 6.20.06
                              Chaos Vantage 2.3.0
                              GeForce Studio Ready Driver Version 546.01​

Comment

Working...
                              X