Sketchup Materials Scaling and Rotation not picked up in Vray Render

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sketchup Materials Scaling and Rotation not picked up in Vray Render

Hi, I'm new here, so many many apologies if this issue has been resolved on here before. I did look within the forum, but I couldn't find a post specific to this issue. When I change the scale (and/or rotation of a material) within the Sketchup window, my Vray render does not match this.

Is there some really simple setting that I am missing?

Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this one at all? I'm just generally struggling with scaling Vray5 materials in general. They don't appear to match what is in the sketchup model, in terms of scale/orientation.

Comment

Hi,

Sorry for the delay!
      Try to select the surface > right click > reverse face and test render again. If the issue is still there please send me the project for investigation. Actually you can send me only the part that is not rendered correctly.
      If this is Ok with you please use the Pack Project tool(Extensions > V-Ray > Pack Project) and send me zip file using the request link below.
      https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
      Please mention the thred topic so I can navigate to it faster.

Thank you!

Comment

Hi Slavcho,
        Many thanks for getting back to me - much appreciated!
        Yes, we have tried reversing the faces but this doesn't appear to have solved the issue.
        Actually I think pretty much every material in the model doesn't reflect the scale shown in the Vray render. We have just had to manually tweak the scale of the materials in Vray itself and closely match them to the Sketchup model as much as possible.
        I shall send the packed project over to you now - thank you!

Comment

Hi,

Yes, please.
          Use the following link (https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new) to upload the file.
          Just mention the forum topic so I can easily link the ticket to the forum post.

Comment

Great, thanks for this Slavcho. Should all be sent over to you.

Comment

Hi guys,

As Slavcho already mentioned, sharing an example of your exact setup will help us get to the bottom of this.

There is only one reason that I can think of leading to inconsistency between the viewport material scaling and the rendered result.
              Let me describe the steps leading to this discrepancy:

1) Create an object and group it (making a component also works
              Click image for larger version  Name:	tp_01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	1145760

2) Create a material and apply it to the faces of the object
              Click image for larger version  Name:	tp_02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	1145761
              3) Manually change the texture placement
              Click image for larger version  Name:	tp_03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,006.9 KB ID:	1145759
              Click image for larger version  Name:	tp_04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	742.2 KB ID:	1145758
              Last edited by konstantin_chaos; 17-04-2022, 10:36 PM.

Comment

4) Select the object and use the Remove Materials V-Ray function (or any other script that removes the materials). This will leave the object white.
                ​

​
                5)Reapply the same material to the Group. The texture placement will look exactly the same as before you removed the material

​
                6)If you render however the default material placement will be used
                ​

This is sort of a hidden SketchUp behavior that we can't support.
                When V-Ray asks SU about the texture placement we get back the default one - not the one from the viewport.

Comment

To resolve this and ensure the viewport shows the same as the renderer you have to ensure the faces have the Default SU material applied:
                  1. Select all the faces of the object
                    ​​​
                  2. Apply the default SU material to all - this will show the UVs which are going to be rendered by V-Ray
                    ​​​

The bottom line is that it is possible that applying the default SU material to the problematic objects will remove the discrepancy in your case.
                  We'll also ask Trimble if there is a way to get the viewport UVs in this specific case and render what you see.

If your issue is different, we'll do our best to resolve it.

Regards,
                  Konstantin

Comment

Thanks for this. Unfortunately I think we still have the same issue with some of the materials. The only way we have got around it is by scaling the materials within the vray settings and carrying out a bit of a trial an error approach with each render. We sent our model to Slavcho - I'm just wondering if Slavcho has had a chance to look at the model and see if we're missing anything?

Comment

Hi Slavcho,
                      I have created a follow up to this ticket.
                      We're still having this issue. Also, we have noticed the odd material, downloaded from the library or the Cosmos, doesn't show up in the model at all. It shows as a strange green tiled material.
                      If you get chance to respond to the ticket that would be great. I tried to book a remote session, but it wouldn't let me.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Dear james_tartt, hello.

Both tickets are assigned and you will receive answer soon.
                        Could you share which exact Cosmos material was used?

Please check the Binding section, because it looks like that you have enabled Texture Helper or Custom mode, see here.
                        Learn more about it here in our docs.
                        The described from you green tiled material is a way to see the size of the texture, which is applied, see here.
                        If you perform a render the texture will appear.
                        If you change the mode to Auto, you should be able to see it too.
                        But please share the chosen material to double check on our side.

Best regards,
                        TS

Tsvetomira Girginova | chaos.com
                        3D Support (AEC,HOU,C4D) Team Lead | contact us

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_72551.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	1152408

Hey TS,

Many thanks for coming back to me.

Ok, so your above tip worked on some materials - so thank you for that. But some materials still remain as described. See attached image which shows what I mean. It also has the material noted in the image too.

Our main issue is scaling the materials and aligning them correctly. So for example making sure brick courses match if on two separate but adjoining faces. The materials in Vray don't always reflect what we see in the Sketchup view.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Okay,

Thanks for the screenshot. It is explained with the same linked information, but I will add now more details.

In this material Tiles_Simple_02_100cm if you go to Diffuse Texture Slot you will see that V-Ray Tiles Texture is used, see also here.
                            This is a procedural map - parameters are used to provide the final look.
                            You could check this explanation as an external example too.

If you have other examples, you could share them here or via the opened ticket where you have already received answer from Diana.

Happy Thursday,
                            TS
                            Tsvetomira Girginova | chaos.com
                            3D Support (AEC,HOU,C4D) Team Lead | contact us

Comment

Working...
                            X