X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sketchup crashing with V-Ray 6.1 when rendergin

Dear all,
    I just figured out a problem with my scenes: Since I installed the update of V-Ray, my heavy scenes produced crashes of Sketchup when I tried to render the scene. No error message, just a complete crahs of Sketchup while compiling the scene geometry. Before the update, it all worked well. By trial and error, I figured out that that was caused by some ChaosCosmos decals I used. When deleting the decals, all worked well. This message is just ment for other users who don't wont to sepnd hours of trial and error to figure out which element caused the crash. I use Sketchup 2021 (!) and Vray 6.1

Best,
    Marcus

• Answer selected by natalia.gruzdova at 03-08-2023, 03:24 AM.

Hello everyone,

I would like to share that fix for reported issues with Decals is part of V-Ray 6 for SketchUp, update 1.1 that was released today. It can be downloaded here, please update your version.

Thank you for your patience and assistance!

Comment

Thank you marcus_friese for sharing your experience and observations.

It would be best if we could test the scene with Decals where the crash is reproducible. If you have such a version of the scene or can recreate the issue please open a ticket using this submit request form and upload the archived scene in the ticket. Please make sure to archive it with the Pack Project tool (Extensions > V-Ray > Pack Project tool).

If you are not able to provide the scene please share if you can recall which Decals you had in your scene and on what kind of objects they were projected onto?

Apart from that please share:
      • Your computer specifications and OS;
      • What render engine are you using: CPU, CUDA or RTX?
      Thank you in advance.
      Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

It's definitely the DECALS
        I have the same issue, after upgrading to 6.1, sketchup 2019. There's no way to complete a render of a scene with DECAL.
        The process sometimes seems to stuck on "compiling geometry" freezing the app, some times during "compiling geometry" it crashes.
        I've tried everything without success, now deleting all the decals it works perfectly (without decals :/ )

PS: DECALS created by me, not Chaos Cosmos. Win11, engine CPU (tried also RTX)
        Last edited by alessandro_maggiore; 14-06-2023, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Hello alessandro_maggiore, welcome to the Chaos Forums and thank you for your post!

If you have a scene with Decals please send it to us to investigate. To do so please follow the instructions in my previous post.

Also did it crash on RTX as well?

It would be best if we could test the scene with Decals where the crash is reproducible. If you have such a version of the scene or can recreate the issue please open a ticket using this submit request form and upload the archived scene in the ticket. Please make sure to archive it with the Pack Project tool (Extensions > V-Ray > Pack Project tool).​

Comment

Originally posted by natalia.gruzdova View Post
            Hello alessandro_maggiore, welcome to the Chaos Forums and thank you for your post!

If you have a scene with Decals please send it to us to investigate. To do so please follow the instructions in my previous post.

Also did it crash on RTX as well?
            Yes, all the time.
            I've already opened a ticket providing the file scene.
            thank you

Comment

With vray 6.10 and the Decal feature, vray and sketchup crash often. It happens in all modes, cpu, cuda, rtx, especially in cpu mode. I have a 3070 rtx and an amd Ryzen 7 1700x cpu and Sketchup 2022. The drivers are up to date and the OS is Windows 11. I attach the files. If I remove the Decals it works perfectly. If I disable the Displacement function, it works fine even with Decals and in CPU mode. Anyway, congrats on your fantastic development and support work.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you very much alexpacio2015 for posting and for sending us your scene via ticket!
                Investigation will take some time but we will post more details as soon as possible.

Comment

Although I haven't had a chance to provide a file myself, my problem redners since going to 6.1 as detailed in my thread also have Decals. I made some white lines and zebra crossing decals for road markings so could well be thouse causing a problem too. How do i go about submitting a scene? I will create a brand new drawing and copy in everything except the decals to ensure no trace of them comes over and retest it.

Comment

It is 100% the DECALS causing the problems. Just deleted them all and rerun the render and it's preprocessed in a couple of seconds and is rendering liek a missle again using RTX on a 4090.

Comment

Hello everyone,
                      Thanks to alexpacio2015 and alessandro_maggiore for sharing their scenes. We were able to thoroughly test the Decals issue and log it internally for developers to look further into it. I will make sure to post here once there are some updates on this matter.

For now a workaround that works in every case is to globally disable Displacement in the Switches settings: example. Instead of Displacement you can set a higher amount of Bump in the material settings if needed.

Also, thank you jason_cafferty for letting us know that your issue is also connected to Decals. Instead of deleting them (which also works of course) you can disable Displacement as I have shared before. ​
                      Last edited by natalia.gruzdova; 23-06-2023, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Actually, Displacement has ALWAYS been off in ther models affected so that isn't true at all.

Comment

"Instead of deleting them (which also works of course) you can disable Displacement as I have shared before"

This is nonsense, the decals have to be removed from the file for the problem to go away. Even turning their layer off to hide them causes the system to get stuck compiling geometry then crash to a Bug Splat when you have to kill the program to get out of it.
                          Last edited by jason_cafferty; 03-07-2023, 12:51 AM.

Comment

the decals have to be removed form the file for the problem to go away. even turning their layer off to hide them causes the system t o get stuck compiling geometr
                            jason_cafferty could you please share this scene with us to test?​

Comment

Hi Natalia Gruslova

Is vray gpu 6 update 1 ready for use??

I dont use decals, so i hope dont see any kind of bug and work as it should be.

Right now my proyect is working fine with sketchup, skatter 2 and vray 5.1 and i want to upgrade and begin use the compressed texture mode with vray gpu 6.1

Is the software ready??, im not going to find another issues??

Thanks

Comment

Why with this new versión takes so much time to open even small scenes??...Initializing vray: loading model takes forever!!!

I would like to have an open session with someone from chaos group to see what is going on.

Vray 6 update 1 with sketchup pro 21

Thanks

I want to upgrade to vray 6 this week and i need help.

Comment

Working...
                                X