Nested Clipper Component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nested Clipper Component

I created a component with a clipper box nested inside of it. I then saved it to the Sketchup component library. When I add the saved component from the library back into the model the clipper no longer works unless I cut and paste it back into the component. Standalone clipper components seem to work fine when saved to the library and then brought back into the model. Could this be fixed in a future update please? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Hello jkollars66,

I have tried to reproduce the issue you describe but with no luck so far unfortunately, maybe I am missing some specific steps. I have tested with 6.00.03 and 6.10.00 versions, could you please specify which build you are currently using (Extensions > V-Ray > Help > About)?

Here are my steps:In both cases nested Clipper is rendered after importing. I am also adding these simple components to the post, could you please share if importing these components works for you.
    If your steps in general are different please elaborate on how I can replicate your issue.

Also please note that your topic was moved to the V-Ray For SketchUp Issues section.
    Attached Files
    Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks for the reply Natalia. Sorry, I didn't make myself clear in the op. I have a component with a clipper nested into it. I save it to the library. When I bring it back into the model I would like the clipper object to cut through other object/components. This doesn't work unless you cut and paste the component with the clipper back into the model. I've attached a model for you to look at.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketchup model.png
Views:	313
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1184691Click image for larger version

Name:	Before cut_paste.png
Views:	310
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	1184692 Click image for larger version

Name:	After cut_paste.png
Views:	305
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	1184693
      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you jkollars66 very much for new examples and clarification.
        Actually what you describe is expected and it does not matter if the Component with Clipper is saved in the library and then imported back into the scene.

When you make a Group or Component with specific objects and Clipper only those objects that are included in this Group/Component will be clipped. Please see the video example.
        This is done specifically so that you can have more control over which objects to clip and which to ignore.​

So you are correct that you need to either explode Group/Component in order for Clipper to clip everything or place objects inside of the Group/Component with Clipper.

Comment

Hi Natalia. Yeah, I figured as much. That's why I originally posted it in the wishlist section. I was hoping that at some point we could get that option. It would allow me to do some things I can't do now. Thanks!

Comment

I just wanted to add that you can also extract Clipper from the Group/Component.

Here was discussed how it can be done:
            Open the group for editing, select the object and use Edit>Cut to cut it out. Exit editing the group and use Edit>Paste in place to paste the object in the same location but outside the group. If the object is a group or component you could do this in Outliner, too.

Comment

The problem is that I make assets for "Users". Asking them to do this is probably not feasible. Or they would mess something up. Then I get the phone calls.

Comment

Working...
              X