Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop not powerful enough to do full HD renders???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop not powerful enough to do full HD renders???

Hi,

I'm having trouble rendering a 150MB scene in full HD, even with low quality and override textures... Most of the time Vray only crashes at one point or another, sometimes Sketchup crashes as well, sometimes the whole computer crashes. I can render in 2K max quality simple scenes like a wall and I can render my 150MB scene in full HD medium with the CPU engine, but it takes forever. While it doesn't work with CUDA and RTX engines. So I was wondering if there was a setting I could tweak to render in full HD and above at just the cost of some more time or if my computer is just not powerful enough?

My configuration:
    ASUS TUF Gaming A17
    AMD Ryzen 4800H
    16GB Ram
    Gefore GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 (Driver: 460.79)
    Windows 10 Home 64 bits
    Vray 5
    Sketchup 2021

Thank you!
    Alex
    Last edited by alex_cortona; 15-01-2021, 03:22 AM.

Hi Alex,

Have you tried monitoring your memory usage to check if you're hitting any limits? Moreover, make sure to use the latest recommended NVIDIA driver (currently, 457.09) as stated in our V-Ray GPU page.
    Are you getting any warnings/error messages in the V-Ray Progress Window?

Can you notice the same issues if you try to Revert the render settings to their defaults?

You may want to check our articles on Render Settings: Quality vs Render Time, along with tips and tricks for Memory Usage Optimizations both in CPU and GPU rendering from here:
    1. https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...s.+Render+Time
    2. https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...+Optimizations

Alternatively, you could send us the project in question so we can investigate further. You can do so by archiving the project from Extensions > V-Ray > Pack Project and forwarding it through our contact form. Make sure to mention this thread in the email, thanks!
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Thanks Nikoleta.

I have tried with the drivers 457.09, same issue.
      I have tried with the default render settings, which is for me CPU engine, Medium quality, output 800*450 and it works, but any resolution equal or under 1600*900 also works even with RTX or CUDA.
      Crashes occur at different times apparently. I had error like: Exception in CORE: Rendering region (0, 256)-(128,384) or during the loading of a texture for example.

I will send the project I guess.

Comment

Tried to submit the project but it's over 300MB so I just sent the skp file there and here is the zip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G74...ew?usp=sharing.

Thank you.

Comment

Hi Alex,

Apologies for the delay.

I've managed to test your project and it appears to be rendering as expected - see screenshot, this was tested on a NVIDIA Quadro P6000 and Intel i7 CPU X 980 @3.33GHz; with a High+ Quality preset.
          It does take a while to render, however, which should be normal if the settings are pumped up. My advice would be to still try and check the articles I sent above in regards to render optimizations.

If you could send us a screen recording of a sample crash along with crash dump files, it would really help us narrow down the issue, as from what I understand they are occurring randomly. Crash dump files can be found in
          • C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp or simply type %temp% in your file explorer. Look for recent .dmp files
          You can also forward us the V-Ray for SketchUp log files so we can have a further look at what is happening on your side. They can be found in
          • C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Chaos Group\V-Ray for SketchUp, look for a file called VRayForSketchUp.log
          Alternatively, you can reach out to us through our contact form so we can schedule a remote session and try to resolve this on the spot.

Comment

Hi Nikoleta,

Thanks for your feedback. I tried again. Here are the files:
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c5w...ew?usp=sharing
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wm4...ew?usp=sharing
            This time the crash, twice in a row occurred after processing mesh trees for a very very long time, almost freezing my screen as the mouse would move with a delay of few seconds. Not sure I can record the screen, I'll try.

Comment

Hi Alex,

Thanks for testing it out - would it be possible to reach us through our contact form so we can schedule a remote session and try to resolve this on the spot? Make sure to mention this thread in the email. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X