Projected Image onto Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projected Image onto Wall

I'm trying to create the effect of an image projected (from a projector) onto a wall - there was a similar topic on how to create this in 3DS Max (https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...to-wall-how-to)

Is it possible to create the same on VRAY Sketchup?
    Last edited by robert_willis; 24-01-2023, 06:11 AM. Reason: EDIT: Tags added

Try using a texture for Rectangle light with directionality set to 1

Comment

Thank you - that works great for the projection on the wall (I also tried changing a material to an emissive material). Was hoping there might also be a way to illustrate the light 'rays' from the projector to be rendered too but expectthat might be pushing asking too much of V-Ray on Sketchup.

Comment

Hello robert_willis,

As was shared by photohomka you can create a projected image with V-Ray Rectangle Light by controlling its directionality or another option is to use Emissive material.

Regarding the light rays you can try to use Environmental Fog (can be found in the Settings > Volumetric Environment > Type) and specify Affected by > Selected lights.

You are welcome to read more about this option in our documentation.

I am also attaching a simple scene example if you would like to test it as well.
        Attached Files
        Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thank you! Environmental Fog looks like it will do what I want

Comment

Hello, robert_willis,

You can achieve this with a Spot light as well (again in combination with Environmental Fog)​:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Spotlight_Beamer_SketchUp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.4 KB ID:	1171816

There is a way to make the Spot light rectangular with a script:
            Code:
            scene = VRay::Context.active.scene
            scene.change {
               scene["/Spot Light"][:barnDoor] = true
               scene["/Spot Light"][:barnDoorLeft] = 0.25
               scene["/Spot Light"][:barnDoorRight] = 0.25
               scene["/Spot Light"][:barnDoorTop] = 0.25
               scene["/Spot Light"][:barnDoorBottom] = 0.25
            }
            ​
            The script enables the 4 "barn doors", which restrain the shape of the light beam. The "barnDoorLeft/Right/Top/Bottom" parameters control the angle (in radians) between the light direction and respectively the left/right/top/bottom barn door.

You need to just copy and paste the script into the SketchUp Ruby Console (Extensions > Developer > Ruby console) and hit Enter. You can play with the values for the angles and find those which suit you.

Kind regards,
            Iva
            Iva Mancheva
            V-Ray for SketchUp | V-Ray for Rhino | QA
            www.chaos.com

Comment

Iva thank you! That's perfect - I'd tried using a spotlight in one view (showing the light rays coming from the projector) and a rectangular light in another view but it wasn't quite right. Your solution is exactly what I'm after

Comment

Working...
              X