Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to assign to a material both a normal map as well as edges texture (to get rounded corners)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to assign to a material both a normal map as well as edges texture (to get rounded corners)

Hi

I have a very simple query.

I am using the built-in library of V-Ray SketchUp to assign a leather material to an object. However, the leather material already has under the bump channel, a normal map assigned to it. How can I use the edges texture to make the corners of the object rounded while retaining its normal map settings.

Any help in this will be deeply appreciated; many thanks in advance.

Hi,
    simply by adding an another attribute Bump that you set in "Local Space Bump" mode and you set Edges in the texture slot.
    And that's it!​

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bump.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	1176618
    Last edited by DCHA34; 27-03-2023, 12:11 AM.
    Windows 10 - RTX 3090 - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - 128 Go RAM
    Sketchup PRO 23.0.419 + V-Ray 6.20.02
    3DS Max 2024.2.1 + V-Ray 6.20.06
    Chaos Vantage 2.3.0
    GeForce Studio Ready Driver Version 546.01​

Comment

Hi Macho3001,

What DCHA34 ​is one of the best options right now.
      There might be a way for us to add a separate Round Edges attribute in the future.

Konstantin

Comment

Hi DCHA34 and konstantin_chaos

KINDLY REFER THE ATTACHED SCRENSHOT: - The "BUMP" option is GREYED OUT & UNSELECTABLE when I try to add an attribute to the material. In this case, I used the same material that DCHA34 used in his post, i.e. Granite_F_80cm for the experiment.

Just so you know, I am using VRay NEXT version "4.20.03" as per the attached second screenshot below.. PLEASE help me, many thanks !!!

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	1177481

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	1177482

Comment

Hello Macho3001,

Thank you for sharing your version.

Workflow in V-Ray Next is different than in newer versions because several Bump maps could not be added to the one material before.

When using Normal/Bump map in combination with Round Edges, the correct workflow is the following:
          • Have a material with set up Bump or Normal mapping.
          • Create a Bump material set to Bump Texture Channel mode and connect an Edges texture for the rounded corners effect.
          • Slot the first material into the Bump material to achieve the combined effect.
          Please see the example.

Name:	1176556_Next_Bump.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	1177504

You can find archived documentation for previous V-Ray versions here.
          Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Dear Natalia

Many thanks for the explanation, that solved my issue and I am now able to create materials having both rounded corners as well as inherent bump/ normal maps.

I have a very simple (almost foolish, if you would allow) query, that may seem improbable coming from a person (me) having been on, and using the software for so long.. But, since I think and fear I have been doing it wrong all these years, I have discarded the apparent shame in acknowledging my limited knowledge and coming out with this query which is very child-like and basic in nature.

You already know I am on Vray Next for Windows.

The task to be accomplished is "Change the base color/ hue of a complex Vray material, keeping all other parameters same". In other words, I would like to change the base brown color of the Vray library material " Leather_C02_Brown_25cm " to a Green shade, keeping all other material characteristics same (such as diffuse, bump & normal maps etc).

Is there a way I can accomplish this using the Vray Color Picker i.e. by directly choosing the hue/color shade and tone from within the Vray Color picker window itself (attached screenshot),

Click image for larger version  Name:	A1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.0 KB ID:	1177661

rather than using the work-around of wrapping-in a color-correction texture inside the texture slot of diffuse and then tweaking it via the Hue & Saturation sliders, which is a very non-intuitive and indirect way of geting the right color / shade, since the sliders can only be moved left-and-right and tweaked by hit & try method, without any direct visual choice making ability that is offered by the Vray Color Picker.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.3 KB ID:	1177662

Also, I am unable to change the base color/ hue by using the Sketchup's Material Panel's HSL sliders as they do not change the vray FrameBuffer's output (though the change is reflected in Sketchup's window; attached 2 screenshots below).

Click image for larger version  Name:	A3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.5 KB ID:	1177663

Click image for larger version  Name:	A4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	1177664

Any help and guidance in the correct workflow will greatly assist me Dear Natalia/ Konstantin !

And, I am very seriously thinking of moving over to Vray's latest version by upgrading my Vray Next license to the current latest one.

I am eagerly looking forward to your reply and guidance...

Many thanks !

Architect Nitin Sharma
            3DA

Comment

Hello Macho3001,
              Thanks for sharing that my example helped you to achieve rounded corners!

The task to be accomplished is "Change the base color/ hue of a complex Vray material, keeping all other parameters same". In other words, I would like to change the base brown color of the Vray library material " Leather_C02_Brown_25cm " to a Green shade, keeping all other material characteristics same (such as diffuse, bump & normal maps etc).
              In V-Ray Next and newer V-Ray versions there is a Mix (Operator) Utility Texture that perhaps will be of use to you. The workflow is the same as with Color Correction: right-click on the Diffuse slot and select Wrap-in then search for Mix (Operator). In this case use operator Add(A+B) which adds pixel values of one texture with the other.

Please see the example.

Name:	1176556_Mix.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	1177702

Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Also, I wanted to let you know that in V-Ray 5 there is a new Coat layer that can be similarly used.

Also, I am unable to change the base color/ hue by using the Sketchup's Material Panel's HSL sliders as they do not change the vray FrameBuffer's output (though the change is reflected in Sketchup's window; attached 2 screenshots below).
              In order to avoid any issues and unexpected results it is recommended to edit V-Ray materials in the V-Ray Asset Editor.
              There are some V-Ray textures that SketchUp is unable to preview, such as Color Correction, Triplanar, Mix Map, etc. Bitmap texture will be displayed instead if it is present in the slot.
              You can rely on preview in the Asset Editor for such materials, which will correspond to the render result.

Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
              Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi Konstantin

Please dont forget the vray gpu engine, while with vray cpu you already have an option for 1 bump edges texture for concave and 1 bump edges texture for convexe, vray gpu only has 1 bump edge texture for both in architecture and spaces the concave edge never seem the same than convexe edge

One looks more rounded because edge walls never are sharp is more rounded since is more pleasent for people you dont get cut in spaces

Very important for architecs and designers!!!

I remembered i wrote in the forum while vray 6 was in beta.

Also i showed to you an example with a space

We need the normal map, 1 bump map this is just for the look of the texture and 2 bump edges texture 1 concave and 1 convexe.

I want to represent my spaces as close as i can with the real life.

I take my time to build my spaces and sometimes is a bit sad and stressfull dont have the correct tools.

Thanks!!!
                Last edited by luisgamino2; 10-04-2023, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X