Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the displacement solution? maybe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the displacement solution? maybe...

Bear with me, I've only had an opportunity to demo this for a few days (finally!) and I'm not the greatest instructor. That said, I would consider myself a seasoned SU user and after lurking around here for a while reading about everyone's displacement woes, I think I've come up with a solution... I'm still trying to get a firm grasp on the bridge to Vray for SU, but I thought I'd share my method for achieving the most consistent results with displacement so far. Here's a description of my work flow as complete and concise as i can explain:

1. I create the object that I want to apply a displaced material to with all edges, hidden edges, and faces painted with the default SU material as shown in the below screenshot. I am eventually going to apply a displaced Vray grass material to this (grossly exaggerated ) sandbox object with a concrete foundation plunked down in the middle of it. By the way, at this point I already have my grass test VrayMtl in my Vray Material Editor created and ready to go...just a standard VrayMtl, not a VrayLinkedMtl.

2. Sandbox entites are already grouped, but if you were making something from scratch, you'd now group all the entities (edges and hidden edged included). Next, you double click the group to edit it and select ALL the objects again. I paint them ALL (again, edges and hidden edges included) with the SU grass texture I made using the diffuse map from that previously made Vray material and then fix the UV scale as needed in SU. Below again, is the result.

3. It seems that it's a must to paint the edges as well as the faces...I think this may be the key to getting consistant displacement results, since SU does apply material data to edges. Select any edge and open the entity info window. There you can see with what material that edge is painted. You can also change the SU style to display the edges with their paint color to get visual feedback while modeling. If you choose, make that change as shown below. Either way, I make sure that EVERYTHING within my group is painted with the SU grass material.

4. Now, since the grass test VrayMtl is all ready set and all the entities are painted with the SU grass material, I select all, right click on all the select objects, and select 'Vray for Sketchup' -> 'Apply Material'. A little dialog box comes up and I pick my grass test VrayMtl and click 'Apply'. I can now exit group editing mode in SU. By selecting the group out of the group editing mode, you can see that the group itself is still painted with the default SU material, but ALL (can I emphasize this enough?) the entities within the group are painted with my SU grass material, which in turn has the grass VrayMtl applied to it. Easy, right?

I am retooling the way I work in SU with groups, at least as far as displaced materials go, but I haven't encountered any problems doing it this way thus far...again, only a few days. Anyway, now I select a view, pick a visopt that suits my needs, and render away.

By the way, here's the quick-and-dirty 640x480 output for that view w/ displaced grass...no post work. Not too shabby for an amateur, eh?!? ;D

Hope this helps anyone who's having issues getting displacement to work for them in SU!

Re: Is this the displacement solution? maybe...

Just a quick Q. I haven't done any grass yet in V-Ray. Is the displacement a noise material? Or did you use a bitmap file?
    Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

One question outside the interesting post.

Toolbars from the bottom of your sketchup, what plugins is it?

thanks

Comment

lepius: Both toolbars/ruby sets are by Didier Bur and can be downloaded free of charge at his site: http://www.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibrary...rary_Depot.htm. I'm not sure if it makes a difference for these scripts, but when you get to the site, you will need to select either metric or imperial plugins.

The first toolbar (on the far left) is Layer Manager...it's under "Selection - Layers" and latest version of this goes by the name "layer_manager_v6.zip".

The second is Projection Pack 2.0...it's under "Geometry - Drawing" and the latest version you can download goes by the name "projection_v6.zip".

There are loads of other great and free scripts there worth checking out as well...good luck! Hey...what kind of bike are you on there in your av?

thomthom:

The VrayMtl I made was a just quick test based loosely on a few Vray grass topics I found on other boards. It has bitmap bump and bitmap displacement...I know that sounds redundant, but I was trying a couple different options to make it look the as natural and dynamic as I could. Most of the other displaced grasses I've seen look like foam "Beetlejuice" grass. Here's a couple images to show the difference...First, mine in Vray Material Studio and the latter is a good example of what I refer to as "Beetlejuice Grass Syndrome":

Comment

I have a question outside of the displacement issue...How did you manage to create such a realistic grass plane in sketchup?

On a side note, thank you for all the helpful info on displacement and Ruby sets. ;D

Comment

If you're talking about the wavy terrain, you can generate that using the sandbox tools in SU. Look Here for info and tutorials:

http://download.sketchup.com/OnlineD...in/gsuwin.html
            http://sketchup.google.com/support/b....py?topic=8804
            http://www.sketchup.com/index.php?ti...ideo+Tutorials (videos 22-24)

On YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcbIZ...eature=related

Comment

Thanks a million!!

Comment

Do you mind sharing the vizmat?
                Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

not necesary to share the complete .vismat just link the bitmap and the bump/displacement nad we can do the rest.

grass looks very real nice work
                  Juan Carlos

Comment

Well... I still end up with beetlejuice grass...

Comment

Nice tutorial pal. but..what are the settings for that dispalement you did use ??
                      My own ones(grass displaments)looks very much like sharp knives :'(

Is it matter the size of the bitmaps ?? (i mean ..640 x 480 or 1230 x 940)or the size is not important??

Comment

Size is extremely important for displacement maps. Displacement will be derived from the pixel values of the map, so if you have a small map you will get very jagged and noisy displacement. A large smooth map will allow better recreation of the displaces surface because there are more values to judge from.
                        Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Got it !!That is probably the reason for my bizare displacements :-[

Thanks a lot dalomar

Comment

@ thomthom, juan.carlos.rioja, & Sensitivesoul:

I provided a link to download a basic vismat and visopt in this thread:

http://asgvis.com/index.php?option=c...18730#msg18730

Good luck!

Comment

thanks a lot! ;D
                              Juan Carlos

Comment

Working...
                              X