Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3DS MODELS

Hi Everyone,

I am very sorry this is slightliy off the Vray topic! I wanted to know if anybody has any tips for importing 3DS models into sketchup. I have one of the Archmodels volumes and they are all in 3DS format. when i import some of them into sketchup, there is lots of missing geometry and all the parts of the model are all over the place. Does anybody know why this may happen? is it because sketchup cant cope with all the geometry. Or is there a plugin that can fill in all the missing faces that are missing during import?

Thank you, much appreciated.

Re: 3DS MODELS

hi will,

I have imported quite a few archmodels as 3DS, DWG etc they all seemed to react in the same way. In 3DS max I found that if I attach the sub geometery it all seems to stay in same place - unfortunatly u get 2 copies in the same geometery (just delete the copy). But if you organise them in Cinema 4D it seems to be alot simpler, obviously if you do it this way you would need access to either software. Furthermore- ive found that the archmodels dont fair well (performance wise) with sketchup - so ive taken to only using 2 imported models.

Sorry i dont hold the answer. Good luck

J

Comment

Thanks Jond!

Is is really frustrating when you have a real nice model you want to use and when you import it and its all over the place and geometry is missing. I have access to 3DS max so i will try and attach the sub geometery and see if that does the trick!!
      Thank you for your help!!!

Will

Comment

Sorry!! another question slighlty off topic!!!

Has anybody had any experience with RPC files. which are used for trees, peoples, cars....etc to go into your model!! supposedly they cut the polygon count significantly!! Does anybody know if they can be used in sketchup??

Thank you

Comment

these are all sketchup questions!!! i don't know if you realize but this is a V-RAY forum!!! :-\
          Juan Carlos

Comment

Yes i do know!! if you had read it properly i did say i was sorry!!

Comment

will, those missing geometry were cause by importing them using small units. Sketchup has difficulty in reading the values. therefore in order to correct this, under the preview area there is this option tool. make sure to make the units bigger say meter or kilometers. then under su rescale them down.
              http://www.nomeradona.blogspot.com/
              http://www.sketchupvrayresources.blogspot.com/
              http://www.nomeradonaart.blogspot.com/

Comment

yup that'll fix the missing faces, however i havnt yet come across a fix for the different sections being all over the place... apart from imorting the 3ds into another program and re-exporting (or attaching the groups together in other 3d apps) they seem to have multple origins that sketchup tries to fix or something...

juan.carlos.rioja:
                not only is this a vray forum, it is also a vray for SKETCHUP forum... importing these models will lead to setting up a scene which will lead to a render... in vray

Comment

Ah thank you very much Free Agent & Nomer. I will give that a go and i can have some super models with all the faces in the right places!!!! multiple origins that sounds like a good explanation to why they are all over the place, i think we'll have to do a bit of experimenting!! i could of been ages searching through the sketchup forums for the answer!! Cheers!

Comment

sry if i sound kind of rud. wasn't my intention.

but i guess the best solution to get fine models is to buying them or paying a suscription. i tryed every method trying to import 3ds models in to sketchup but nothing worked.

sketchup's forum is not much different from this one, but nobody has the answer for that problem.

once again sry for my bad mood. :-[
                    Juan Carlos

Comment

Hey, that was one of my problem too!I work in millimeters....so that was the problem...Thanks guys!

Comment

me too!..
                        guess i should import those models in inches/feet- which is most of evermotion models were made of.
                        thanks guys!
                        Viva Las Islas Felipinas!

Comment

I think i have found a solution to the 3ds archmodels being all over the place with multiple origins when imported into sketchup - if you export the .max model from 3dsmax as DWG and then import it into sketchup with higher units like nomeradona said, then you will have a perfect model which is in the correct place and no missing geometery.

Comment

nice thought with that will. from now one i will export them, they way you said it.
                            http://www.nomeradona.blogspot.com/
                            http://www.sketchupvrayresources.blogspot.com/
                            http://www.nomeradonaart.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X