Vray in Windows Xp 64bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray in Windows Xp 64bit?

Will Vray for Sketchup run in Windows XP 64bit? Will it address for than just the standard 4gb?

Scott

Re: Vray in Windows Xp 64bit?

It will work on xp x64. As to how much memory address, 32 bit programs will typically address 2.8 to 3.2 gigs. If a program is compiled to be Large Address Aware, then it will be able to address 3.6 to 3.8 gigs. I do not know if SU is compiled with the Large Address Aware tag.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Dalomar,

Thanks. Kind of what I thought. A little depressing that Vray is not a 64bit app. seeing as how some of its competitors are. I saw there was a standalone beta out that was 64bit. Is there any word on development on this?

Scott

Comment

That's the strangest thing ....

I am pretty sure that Sketchup is not large adress aware, but at times, Vray uses over 5 Gb of my RAM.
        Is Vray using the same process as Sketchup? ...or a svchost.exe process instead?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottPara
          A little depressing that Vray is not a 64bit app. seeing as how some of its competitors are. I saw there was a standalone beta out that was 64bit.
          It has nothing to do with us. Because we are native within SU we run through the SU task. If SU went 64bit (I've found no news that they intend to), then we would be right there. We already have the 64 bit libraries, so I don't believe that we're waiting on a thing except for google.

I personally don't know the status of the v-ray standalone.

Originally posted by biebel
          I am pretty sure that Sketchup is not large adress aware, but at times, Vray uses over 5 Gb of my RAM.
          Is Vray using the same process as Sketchup? ...or a svchost.exe process instead?
          I'm pretty sure its using the same process, and I'm 98% sure that SU is not Large Address Aware (why would they do something to help their customers). Our spawners are, but those are separate processes. Remember too that the limits I mentioned before are per task. It is possible to have multiple tasks making significant draws on memory, thus having it increase to 5gb or more.

Comment

Originally posted by dalomar
            .. I'm 98% sure that SU is not Large Address Aware (why would they do something to help their customers)....
            ;D He he that's funny.
            Actually now there is a survey going on that asks about which computers people use with Sketchup and how they perform. So maybe in the future there will be progress?
            Although I must agree with you, Google is very slow with these things.
            That happens when a big firm (Google) buys a fine piece of software from a small firm (@Last). Since the take over, the core of Sketchup has hardly been changed.

Comment

;D He he that's funny.
              The funnier thing (or sad depending on how you look at it) is that making a program Large Address Aware is a pretty simple thing to do (AFAIK)...Just a few lines of code and thats it.

Originally posted by biebel
              That happens when a big firm (Google) buys a fine piece of software from a small firm (@Last). Since the take over, the core of Sketchup has hardly been changed.
              [underbreath]Sounds like Autodesk[/underbreath]

Comment

Google makes me sad
                Best regards,
                Devin Kendig
                Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Originally posted by dkendig
                  Google makes me sad
                  Well, you guys have the leading render engine in the industry, so I would reckon you have quite some influence on them....although I have the impression CG is not the first thing you can wake them up for. I think they prefer things that are 'web based'and 'for the masses'
                  And yes, one is tempted to see a parallel with Autodesk...

Comment

it will be very sad if google ignores its most dedicate and energetic user base - the design community.

Comment

Originally posted by gaganraj
                      it will be very sad if google ignores its most dedicate and energetic user base - the design community.
                      absolutely -

64 bit by 4Q 08.

Comment

let's hope :-\

Comment

Working...
                        X