displacement issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• displacement issues

Hey guys. Hope I’m not crowding up the message board. I have been having displacement problems…..actually I’ve never been able to get it to work. I was able to get the bump maps to work but displacement doesn’t seem to want to work. I have been doing it the same way I do the bump except I check the displacement box. I make sure to use a bitmap in the diffuse and a greyscale (bitmap) in the displacement part. Is there something I’m missing? When I click update…I can see the displacement happing in the little update view thing….but when I render….nothing happens. It’s driving me a little nuts…lol. Thanks again for your help. ;D

PS I have been going back to look at previous post, but no luck

Re: displacement issues

oh...I have read the manual many times.

Comment

try changing the multiplier to something higher and also make sure the scaling of the bitmap isn't too small. also its not necessary to use a gray scale image. displacement just takes dark values out of the picture. let us know how it goes...

Comment

Are you saying that I should use the same bitmap image that I used in the diffuse in the displacement?

Comment

Can you tell me how to attach an image in my message so I can show you what I'm doing? When I click the "Insert image" button...it puts some kind of html code on my screen. I'm use to "attach" like in hotmail.

Comment

yes i usually just use the same image for diffuse and displacement. to upload an image upload it first to photobucket.com and copy the code that has the "[IMG]" in front of it to your post here.

Comment

The second photo is my difuse map.
              The third photo is my displacement map. I tried jacking up the multiplier to 4 but still no luck.

I have another question. Arroway provides users with all the appropriate maps to make their textures. I noticed they provide us with a reflectivitly map. Would I place this image in the reflection layer or would I insert this in the reflection spot located next to the bump and displacement boxes?

Comment

Is there any other setting that I am missing? Is there anything I'm suppose to do in the main settings tab? I can't remember the name of that tab...it has an enviroment roll out...etc...) I'm at work and I don't have the software on my computer to check the name.

Comment

I figured it out!! ;D I didn't group the object that I was applying the displacement texture to. I was applying the texture to a surface. You have no idea how long this has been driving me nuts. lol

Comment

doesn't it feel good when you finally get it right after a couple weeks of no luck =)

Comment

It sure does Peter.

Comment

Working...
                      X