Linux Render Slaves - Yes it works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Render Slaves - Yes it works!

I've been playing with the idea of getting some cheap quadcore motherboards, RAM and HDs and build a renderfarm. I didn't like the idea of getting a Windows licence for each just to run one program on them.

So I tried installing the DRSpawner via Wine on my Ubuntu box. And it works perfectly!

Screenshot from the cow:

Screenshot from the server:
    Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Re: Linux Render Slaves - Yes it works!

That is very cool...thanks for jumping into the deep end and testing this one.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

No problem.
      I'm not really familiar with Linux, but this was one of them things that just worked immediately.

If anyone need inspiration for DIY renderfarm have a look at http://helmer.sfe.se/

I was checking out prices yesterday and found that it's only be about £1200 for four 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Quadro computers. (Mainboard, CPU, RAM, HD and PSU) Not bad for 16 2.4GHz processors. (And this is Norwegian prices, elsewhere it'd be much cheaper. I expect nearly half the price in the US.)
      Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

I've just tested th DRSpawner render under wine and it works fine.

Just to complement the information, you need to install some windows runtimes (VisualC++, I believe) to the default wine installation.

They are the vcrun2005&#160; and vcrun2005sp1, which can be installed by a neat script called winetricks (it downloads and installs it in the local .wine folder, no need to be root).

The 'winetricks' url is http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

Comment

I wasn't aware of that. I suppose that something else I installed allready installed that for me as I didn't have to do that. Good to know.

Comment

Working...
          X