Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Displacement Issues... Bug or User error :) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement Issues... Bug or User error :) ?

Hello. I am having difficulty getting displacement to work in VRay. Please see attached image on what i am seeing... strange wavy artifacts on the seam edges. Does anyone have an idea what i may be doing wrong.

Thank you!

Re: Displacement Issues... Bug or User error ?

By default, displacement quality is View Dependant. (You'll see the checkbox checked in the Displacement section in the Options window.)
    When this is on, Edge Length is the length in pixels and the default is 4. Try reducing this. Note that when you lower this render times and RAM usage increases. So find a balance.
    Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I actually tried with edge setting numbers from .1 to 40 both with view dependent checked and unchecked. That actually did not change the result at all. Rendering looks the same no mater what edge setting i change too? Do you think it could be the map?

Thanks!

Comment

Im just wondering if anyone is getting good results for displacement from elements that are more linear in nature, like these lines?

Comment

Has anyone been able to get accurate displacement similar to what i am showing using Sketchup?

Thanks

Comment

FYI, when you use displacement maps that are 8bit per channel V-Ray applies a gamma correction. (the default settings dot his.)

There are more info on what is going on at this SCF thread: http://forums.sketchucation.com/view...189538#p148769
            (you might need to login to see the attached images)

Also related: http://forums.sketchucation.com/view...22687&p=191705
            Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

It's possible that the counter gamma adjustment is not needed on 1.48.66+ - have not fully investigated this.

Comment

Posted a sample here: http://forums.sketchucation.com/view...?f=322&t=28593

Sorry for posting the sample in another forum, but it was just easier to upload files there - plus there has been V-Ray users asking questions about displacement there as well.

Comment

::mumbles about not being able to easily post images::
                  Best regards,
                  Devin Kendig
                  Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

I checked out the sketchup forums. Thanks again ThomThom for your great advice!

Comment

Working...
                    X