V-Ray Camerae settings per SU camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray Camerae settings per SU camera

For VfSU I'd like to be able to set V-Ray camera properties on a per SU camera.

It'd be nice to set up a set of default properties, but then be able to override on a per camera basis.
    Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Re: V-Ray Camerae settings per SU camera

That would be nice. I finally got a really finely tuned IM LC setup which renders pretty well for both interiors and interiors- the only difference is the shutter speed which I have to change between interior and exterior scenes. This feature would make that really easy to automate. Only problem might be that it would be difficult to remember which settings are with which scenes- say you open an interior scene, then do some modelling, orbit around a bit until you've got an exterior view and the you save a new scene. It could become really confusing to keep track of the settings for all the cameras/scenes. :-\
    SU 2018 + VfSU 4.0

Comment

Per Page, yes, but since there are no camera objects, that would prevent us from doing them "per camera". The settings themselves would still be saved within the options dialog (ie we wouldn't be able to move them to a separate "camera dialog" ala Max). I'm just thinking out loud here, but how exactly would the camera settings be saved? Would it be done automatically when a page is created or updated? Or would have have to do it explicitly? Also, how would this affect animation? (at the moment I would say that the camera settings would be static and derived from the first frame).
      Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Yea, no visible Camera object. I was thinking cameras instead of pages because in the API each page has a Camera object which hold all the info about the view.

How it's saved: Maybe use the approach SU used. The user have to right-click the page tab and choose update. (Or update from the Scenes Windows)

As for the animation, I can see that this needs a different approach from when each page is a different view. I'd say that it'd use the settings of the first frame. So it wouldn't be possible to animate some properties? Like the DOF?

It would be nice to be able to transfer settings from one camera to another. But if VfSU is scriptable, maybe this could be an extra plugin? From a scripters point of view, if the camera settings where scriptable, it'd be nice if they where stored in an attribute_dictionary of the Page it relates to.
        Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

Btw, Damien: I came across an interesting post at SCF with a command to bring up a debug Camera window: http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/...p?f=180&t=9321

Is your team aware of this one? Just in case it's of any use.

Comment

I don't think the dialog itself is of any use, but its good for me to see it. Gets me a little ticked that SU thinks in FOV instead of focal length. No one uses FOV, so why the hell have it be the ONLY way to adjust that aspect of the camera....anyway.

It would be possible to animate parameters, but at this point that's way over shooting the goal. I am personally not going to push for any real animation improvements along these lines since there's no means for controlling them. Until SU begins to expose more of an interface for animating (which I doubt they will), there's no means for users to have real control of animating those parameters.

I'm not sure what's going to happen with scripting in SU. I'd like have something to offer, but at this point I just don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by dalomar
              Gets me a little ticked that SU thinks in FOV instead of focal length. No one uses FOV, so why the hell have it be the ONLY way to adjust that aspect of the camera....anyway.
              Not sure what you mean here.
              When you activate the Zoom tool you can type in degrees ("30deg") or mm. I thought when you typed in mm ("22mm") that that was the focal length... No?

The thing that I found interesting is the Fov=H checkbox which makes SU set the angle of view in the horizontal plane as oppose to the default vertical.

Comment

Originally posted by thomthom
                Not sure what you mean here.
                When you activate the Zoom tool you can type in degrees ("30deg") or mm. I thought when you typed in mm ("22mm") that that was the focal length... No?
                In the VCB you can type in mm, but in that particular dialog box you can't. What annoys me is that even though you can us mm in the vcb SU still THINKS of it in terms of FOV. IOW rather than converting the focal length to FOV its doing the opposite. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Comment

You can use focal length in SU. Just use: camera.focal_length.
                  I've even written a small script for it. (jsFocalLength.rb at my site www.pixero.com)

Comment

Working...
                  X