Issues setting up distributed rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues setting up distributed rendering

I've followed the directions on the doc site about setting up distributed rendering but I keep getting an error saying initDevices() failed. Does anyone know what might fix this issue? I'm trying to use distributed with the vray bake.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by tmbarker531; 13-02-2019, 01:11 PM.

Also, for some reason the GTX 1080 is my machine won't kick in which baking the light maps and it seems like its falling back and using another graphics card or the cpu...I have the 1080 selected in the vray settings, I've also run the vray_gpu_device_select.exe in the tools folder and selected the 1080.

Comment

Hi, tmbarker531

The PTX build error and initDevices() failed could mean that there is a driver issue. Which driver version are you running on both local and DR machines?
      The windows task manager is not a very reliable source for GPU usage. I would suggest MSI Afterburner for a better performance check and see how the GPUs and CPU are utilizing. A note here, the DR machines will use for rendering what is set in their "Select Devices for V-Ray GPU Redering" app (Start Menu/All Programs/V-Ray for Unreal). You cannot control which devices to use from your local machine.
      Also I see that you are not using the latest version of V-Rat for Unreal. I would advise you to update to the latest version as it contains a number of fixes and improvements such as the CPU rendering support for native Unreal materials. However there is a issue with the Launch V-Ray render server(Unreal) shortcut. The Target file path in its properties has to be modified from "...\Plugins\VRayForUnreal\ThirdParty\VRay_unr eal_ appsdk\bin\vray.exe" -server -portNumber=20207" to "...\Plugins\VRayForUnreal\Source\ThirdParty\VRay_unreal_appsdk\bin\vray.exe" -server -portNumber=20207". We will fix this in the next version of the build.
      Please tell us how it goes.

Best regards,
      Alexander
      Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Hey Aleksander, I updated vray and downloaded the nvidia 417 drivers. Now it does look like everything in working. The task manager GPU usage is spiky but it's clearly kicked in on all the computers. Do you have to start running the license server on each machine before that machine kicks in to start rendering? I assumed you only needed it on one but once we started them on all of the computers they all began to work.

Thanks for your help! Everything's already looking sooo much better with vray bake

Tyler

Comment

Hi, Tyler

That is great news! Glad to hear everything is working now.

Do you have to start running the license server on each machine before that machine kicks in to start rendering?
          Well you don't need to have the license server running on the DR machines. If you have a license server running on one machine, you can tell the other computers connect to that machine and take licenses from it. You can do that by setting the License server IP to the IP of that machine in the "Chaos Group license server information" tool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	setvrlservice_2019-02-15_08-42-38.png
Views:	178
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	1026708

I do advise you to borrow your licenses from the OLS. This way you will not be dependent on internet connection for V-Ray to check the licenses and there won't be any issues if internet connection is lost.

Best regards,
          Alexander
          Last edited by Alexander.Atanasov; 14-02-2019, 11:47 PM.
          Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Working...
          X