Bake Result?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bake Result?

My first attempt to bake a simple scene. Confused and need some more clarification.

On the right, you see the scene file with Vray rendered. That's the quality I am trying to achieve after baking.

On the left, you see the Unreal Viewport after I was baking the Scene with Vray.

Soooo... this is it?
    Is this the maximum quality I would get out from the Unreal Engine after baking my Vray Render?

Question:
    I was hoping to see the exact same result in the Unreal Viewport (matching the result from the Vray Frame Buffer) after Baking!
    Or was this just a dream that will not come true?

Or am I missing something important here to switch/load the baked Unreal Scene?
    www.bernhardrieder.com
    rieder.bernhard@gmail.com

Hi, Bernhard

The V-Ray bake will only bake lighting information to the object. Reflections, refractions, subsurface and other material properties are still handled by Unreal. Meaning that you will not get correct raytraced results in the viewport since Unreal makes approximations for those to achieve real time graphics. A quick note here, I see some light intensity mismatch, have you enabled the Set for Light Bake option in the VRayRectLight? If you have that disabled after the bake the light's intensity will be added on top of the baked one resulting in increased brightness.

Best regards,
    Alexander
    Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Thank you Alex for the clarification...

hmm.. so there is no way to bake for example, the reflections into the map?
      and once this is done, it will look like the raytraced version?
      almost like photogrammetry?

hmmmmmmm..... there is no way, that we could actually match the ratyraced quality we are getting from Vray inside the Unreal Engine, right?
      I mean.. without raytracing but baking and just using the unreal engine itself, is this correct?

That was my confusion... because I was really hoping.. that after baking the VrayRaytraced scene, that the baking is so good.. that you can see similar results compared to the raytraced one.

I mean... this simple example shows cleary a huge difference in the reflection of the chrome shader.
      Difuse Texture maps might look exactly the same... makes kinda sense, cause this is the easy part.

But after baking the texture map of the chrome teapot.. I was hoping to see the baked reflections from the raytraced teapot in my texture map!
      But when you compare... that's really far off.

What are your thoughts on this?
      Or am I missing here something when doing the baking process?

set for Light Bake:
      just to clarify.. are you saying, before you bake, make sure "Set for Light Bake" is checked on all lights (even Dome Light, etc.) before you start the baking?

Thanks a lot and keep rocking!
      cheers
      Last edited by bernhard; 20-05-2019, 09:50 AM.
      www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

Hi, Bernhard

hmm.. so there is no way to bake for example, the reflections into the map? and once this is done, it will look like the raytraced version? almost like photogrammetry?
        Unfortunately that is not possible inside UE and even not correct. Reflections and refractions are view dependent and it doesn't make much sense to want to bake them out because then they will be "correct" from only a certain angle.

But after baking the texture map of the chrome teapot.. I was hoping to see the baked reflections from the raytraced teapot in my texture map! But when you compare... that's really far off.
        You can add the so called reflection probes(SphereReflectionCapture, BoxReflectionCapture and Planar Reflection actors) to try and add the missing reflections. Once a reflection probe is placed in the level it captures the scene from its position and applies what it "sees" to the actors that are in its influence radius. They will not be correct for all actor but will give the illusion of proper reflections

just to clarify.. are you saying, before you bake, make sure "Set for Light Bake" is checked on all lights (even Dome Light, etc.) before you start the baking?
        Yes, before V-Ray bake make sure that you enabled "Set for Light Bake" on all V-Ray lights and set all Unreal lights to Static(from Mobility settings in Transform section).

Best regards,
        Alexander
        Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Hi Alex!

Ok, that makes all sense now... but heck.. on top of the reflection confusion... the latest Unreal Engine supports Raytracing.
          Noooooowwwwwww..... uuaahhhhhh... this os going to change a lot.. isn't it?

I love Vray.. because I can setup my scene in max and use the same shaders in unreal.
          And in future, I can even raytrace the vray shaders in unreal, right?

I am not talking about the Vray Raytracing.. I am talking about the Unreal Engine Raytracing.

I also figured out, that it only works with the latest Windows and an RTX GPU that will run in DX12 mode.
          I can't wait to test it...

Reflection probes:
          hmmm.. do you maybe have a video about this, especially when using Vray for that?

www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

Working...
          X