No support for directional lightmaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No support for directional lightmaps?

I'm giving vray bake a try and I'm noticing a crucial feature is missing: Directional lightmaps.

Directional lightmap is an additional lightmap used by Unreal that encodes the direction of the dominant light in each pixel. This is used to shade normal maps.
    Here is the expected result using Lightmass:

Click image for larger version

Name:	directional.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	663.4 KB
ID:	1076621

And here is the same result baking with vray:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	non-directional.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	544.5 KB
ID:	1076622

Notice how the bricks have lost all directionality.
    Is there something I've missed? Or has this not been implemented yet?
    In that case, I would just like to raise awareness, this makes a huge difference. Especially to rougher surfaces that don't benefit from reflections being influenced by the normal map.

I've just realized by reading in the forums that there are other crucial features missing for this to be viable in production:
    -Directional Lightmaps
    -Volumetric lightmaps and Lighting sample volumes for dynamic objects
    -Mobile support

Comment

Hi Norman,

I have logged in your feature requests and will inform you when they are available. With the latest build of V-Ray for Unreal you can package a mobile game with V-Ray generated lightmaps and V-Ray materials. Can you please elaborate on the "Mobile support" feature?

Best regards,
      Alexander
      Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander.Atanasov View Post
        Hi Norman,

I have logged in your feature requests and will inform you when they are available. With the latest build of V-Ray for Unreal you can package a mobile game with V-Ray generated lightmaps and V-Ray materials. Can you please elaborate on the "Mobile support" feature?

Best regards,
        Alexander
        My bad Alexander. Admittedly I've not looked into the mobile support myself, I was going off of another post I read here.
        That being said... I do wonder what is happening to lightmaps in packaged builds exactly.
        Are Unreal's lightmaps being discarded? Are both (Vray and Lightmass) being included in packaged builds? I ask this because I can bake vray lightmaps, but if I go to a level's world settings, under lightmaps I can still see Unreal Lightmass lightmaps being stored in the level. This leads me to believe that they are being packaged in the game as they are being referenced by the level umap file. From past experience, I doubt Unreal is smart enough to realize that the Lightmass lightmaps are not being used and automatically discards them.

Comment

Working...
        X