No announcement yet.

Nvidia 30 series cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The buckets does move fast. But not worth the money. I go with a 20GB 3080.
    https://techgage.com/wp-content/uplo...e-RTX-3090.jpg
    https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
    Ryzen 5950, Geforce 3060, 128GB ram

Comment

Two 20GB (when they come out) 3080's it is then. I manage with 11GB RAM on my current 1080tis, so lack of NV link on a 20GB 3080 wouldn't be a problem for me.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...formance-1889/
      Last edited by seandunderdale; 28-09-2020, 03:25 AM.
      Website
      https://mangobeard.com/
      Behance
      https://www.behance.net/seandunderdale

Comment

Unfortunately the 20 GB version of the 3080 is canceled.
        www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Did anyone ever get hold of a 3090?

Comment

Originally posted by rusteberg View Post
            Did anyone ever get hold of a 3090?
            Managed to source a 3090+3080 setup, waiting on the GPU waterblocks and will add more.

Comment

Originally posted by Micha View Post
              Unfortunately the 20 GB version of the 3080 is canceled.
              Apparently it's coming back thanks to pressure from AMD!

https://videocardz.com/newz/kopite7k...-gddr6x-memory

Comment

Did anyone buy a nvlink? I can’t find it anywhere!

Comment

Hi, I wonder about RTX cards if you for example have two cards and how NVlink affect rendering speed, memory is increased but is rendering time affected?
                  2x 2080 Ti NVLink disabled vs 2x 2080 Ti NVLink enabled, is 2x 2080 Ti with NVLink enabled slower?

Would be very thankful for any comment.

Thx

/ Karl
                  Last edited by allemyr; 16-11-2020, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I got 2x Palit RTX 3090 (quite slim and good for SLI) running for 2 weeks now and here is the
                    Vray benchmark vs my 2x RTX 2080ti setup (all stock cards not watercooled running on AMD 1950x):

2x 3090 1538 points
                    2x 2080ti 743 points

Rendertime on mixed scenes (architectural ext + int) is around 60% of the 2x 2080ti setup and I'm loving it
                    edit: The temps of the first 3090 reaches 80°C pretty easy so you might consider watercooling.
                    I adjusted the vent curve and it stays at 79° on heavy duty...
                    I read somewhere that nvlink is now brand specific, but that turned out to be wrong, since the Aorus bridge is working.
                    Last edited by daniel_hajduk; 25-11-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sebastien_berthier View Post
                      Did anyone buy a nvlink? I can’t find it anywhere!
                      got it from https://www.alternate.de

Comment

• Originally posted by daniel_hajduk View Post
                        Thanks Daniel!

Comment

• Morning all

This is probably all old news now, but I have been running a RTX 3080 for a few months now.

I'm very new to the 3D game so have probably made a few schoolboy errors here and there in terms of software settings / ways models are constructed etc.

Current spec:
                          • RTX 3080
                          • Ryzen 7 5800X
                          • 16 gig ram
                          • M.2. SSD

Generally speaking it has been glitch free. A few small things here and there with Sketchup / vray, but nothing out of the ordinary. By this I mean little things like not being able to select a layer, or things vanishing from the viewport and after a reset it works again. I have never been 'really stuck'. I have made the effort to start new files and keep it on CUDA and not shift from CPU / CUDA / GPU, as previously this did cause issues.

The CUDA rendering has been great. Normally using 90-100% CUDA on the GPU (using task manager) and then around 20% on the CPU (Sketchup + Vray). The other 'copy' and bits also do kick in, but the CUDA is the main thing that seems to ramp up when rendering.

Annoyingly though, when I use external plugins for some things e.g. Using Fredo6 for animation, and then using Vray as the renderer for this, it seems to only use the CPU. No big deal, but glad I went for the Ryzen 7 instead of the 5. I generally only do animations over night, so not an issue, but would be annoyed if I had to get anything out quicker. FYI I have made sure CUDA is selected in Vray before starting the render.

Sometimes I notice only half of the CPUs being used, and at other times all of them are being used. Not sure if this some clever CPU thing or not. Its not 100% on half the CPUs, more like 30-40% on half then the others are ticking over so to speak. Once again, it might be that some of the extensions don't support X number of CPUs. This hasn't really been a bottleneck, so I haven't investigated further.

I was worried 16gig wasn't going to be enough, so I asked the installers to make it easy to put more in if needs be, but so far, most of my models don't max out the 16 gig. It seems the amount of ram only really increases (based on my models) when you increase the resolution output. Ram used as follows (K meaning 1k = 1920 x 1080px):
                          • 5k = 10.5gig
                          • 6k = 11.6gig
                          • 7k = 13gig
                          • 8k = 13gig
                          Not really been keeping an eye on the GPU Ram though.

I haven't done any test recently, but CUDA so far has been around 5% quicker than standard GPU mode, but I haven't done any tests in a long while. Also I guess the CPU is involved more when the models are bigger? On a side note, using the CUDA / GPU has left my computer 100% usable for other tasks which is great. Before using 90% CPU was ok, but did mean I was limited to simple tasks e.g. rendering + using photoshop was difficult.

I don't really understand how, but I believe my computer is networked so that the files are stored on the local server. This makes me think I'm not getting the advantages from the SSD. When the comp was new (and not set up on the network) i was getting 1800mb transfer speeds, but this isn't happening, so guessing the network is throttling this. I believe its the desktop + my docs which are synced, so I could work on the C drive (where it isn't synced), and then copy filed across to my docs when happy, but I'm not sure if this would work?

My machine was £2500 with 3 years warranty (pick up and drop off service) which I think was a pretty good deal.

Whilst I very much like sketchup (has been one of the best bits of software I have used in a long time), I do feel it lacks some basic features (e.g. rounding edges, working at small scale, good animation primarily) which then requires you to then look to the extension market to fill the void. Whist I really like the idea of external companies creating these features, it seems (from a non techy point of view) that maybe these extensions need to be updated in line with the latest hardware upgrades. Once again, I may have to do some setting adjustments to get things running smoothly.

I am primarily using Sketchup / Vray to render marketing materials for doors / locks / door closers but this will open up to bigger buildings (room plans / lots of different doors in one room). This consists of 90% still images, but may do more video if it's required. Once again, animation options are pretty limiting in Sketchup with the various extensions.... with this in mind, can anyone else suggest a partner with Vray which may work better, (e.g. better options for rounding edges, working at small scale, good animation primarily)? Or are all the applications much of a muchness? Emphasis is ease of use, as I can only put in so many hours of learning new software.

Thoughts welcome.

Best,

T

Comment

Working...
                          X