V-Ray Material Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray Material Issue

I'm new to V-Ray and what I'd like to do is to increase the color of my custom leather material. I used a generic material and loaded a brown leather image and its corresponding bump image. The material looks bland and dark. In 3DS Max I increased the "Output Amount" on the same texture and was able to brighten up the dark texture without having to use a bright light to increase the color. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would assume that there's an equivalent parameter that is comparable to the Output Amount in 3DS Max.

So what exactly is the problem? It seems that you already figured it out yourself. I would do exactly as you did if my lighting was correct but the texture was darker than I would like it to be.
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Use the 'Output amount' in the plugged texture itself (available both in the Bitmap and VRayBitmap node)?
      Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by aleksandar.hadzhiev View Post
        Use the 'Output amount' in the plugged texture itself (available both in the Bitmap and VRayBitmap node)?
        I'm not seeing what you are describing. Attached is what I can see on the bitmap parameter window.

Comment

Ok. I just looked and found what is comparable to the "Output Setting" in 3DS Max. I tried it and it works equally as effective. I found the setting under V-Ray's Bitmap setting under the "Color Space" dropdown. The name of the parameter is called "Custom Gamma Curve" I would assume this is what you were referring to? Anyway, this is exactly what I was looking for and it works like a charm.

BTW, another V-ray technician rep[lied to me via email and suggested wrapping your texture in a Simple Mix texture. The "Multiply Result" value is the same as "Output amount".
          For fine-tuning the texture output, you can instead use the Color Correction or Spline and Bezier Curve textures.

I haven't tried that yet but will experiment with that recommendation just to compare the results.

​​​​​​​I'm really starting to enjoy V-Ray compared to my 2016 version of Mental Ray.

​​​​​​​Thanks for all the help to the V-Ray team, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X