Sharing CPU and GPU scenes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing CPU and GPU scenes?

The company I work for is a CPU-based shop, along with several other subcontractors. Recently, they have acquired a studio that is strictly GPU based. So now everyone must work together. Is it even possible? Do we need two separate material libraries for everything? The concern is that there would be limited consistency between assets if some were CPU-based, but other aspects are handled by the GPU-based team? Maybe it's much ado about nothing?

The company wants to migrate *everything* to GPU within the next 12 months. What about legacy assets that we may need to work with in the future? With GPU having a relatively slow adoption rate (yet), I'm dragging my heels on it.
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
    2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
    128GB RAM

This sounds like an extremely risky proposition to me.
    Lots and lots of reasons to steer clear of it for the time being, imho.
    Expecting to be able to switch between gpu/cpu or sharing things on the fly isn't realistic unfortunately, as they are different in so many ways
    and many core features of the robust cpu version are missing - with workarounds being mostly a headache
    and, if available, necessitate switching to cpu anyway to get passes out to combine. Can get messy - and that's just my personal experience as
    one person working alone

Others may have different opinions of course.
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Thanks for that. It's good to know that someone else feels the same way I do.
      David Anderson
      www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
      Windows 10 Pro
      3ds Max 2023.3 Update
      V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
      Puget Systems
      TRX40 EATX
      AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
      2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
      128GB RAM