VrayDistanceTex vs Chaos Scatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayDistanceTex vs Chaos Scatter

Hello, I need to drill thousands holes to make the perforated panel, I can use the opacity map, but I want to see the thickness of the material inside the holes. Decided to try the rendertime booleans. When I use the Forestpack all works well. With the chaos scatter I found out it is somehow more effective and faster to distribute the similar pattern (UV map, 1.5x1.5cm, running grid on 3x6m 1cm thick panel) but unfortunately I cannot pick this Chaos Scatter object in the VrayDistanceTex objects panel. Seems to me it is not supported - is there any workaround apart from instancig the objects? Found out as well I can collapse ForestPack in single click to one huge mesh object, but with Chaos Scatter this is not possible - I can only propagate to instances. All this I can do this with the railclone or if not in the GPU mode with the enmesh as well, so I am just curious as trying the chaos scatter first time and I am surprised with the possible performance in this case.

Do it with a texture. And the black and white perf map in the opacity slot and in the displacement slot.

Comment

Originally posted by filip View Post
      Found out as well I can collapse ForestPack in single click to one huge mesh object, but with Chaos Scatter this is not possible - I can only propagate to instances.
      You can always mass attach the objects after converting to max geometry.
      Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Yep displacement is a way to go, but reason I like this approach more is I can easily modify the holes size and distance + various patterns driven by the scale texture...
        Propagate to 100000 (and maybe more) instances and attaching them in 3dsmax is not much fast and smooth procedure...
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X