Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions & Issues moving to Vray GPU

Hi,

Our studio is looking to move over to Vray GPU now that it supports lots of features. I tried out the new Vray GPU and it is awesome! But I have some questions and issues I have found that I'm worried will stop us from converting over. There are a few main features we use with our current GPU renderer that we must have for the projects we do.

Parallax is a big part of our projects. It has replaced all normal and bump mapping and 98% of all displacement. It is priceless when it comes to things like Tiles, Bricks, and other finishes. Fstorm has a one click option to turn any material into Parallax, this is amazing! Is Vray going to be getting a built in parallax?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Parallax Mapping.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	1199809

Enmesh is another Huge feature we would use on every project, we use geopattern, for most of our finishes of custom tiles and other objects. We use it for grass over extremely large and small areas. This would be one of the most important features for us! But using it I have found quite a few issues.

1) It lacks many features that even Corona Pattern has. There is no realworld mapping which makes it impossible to get accurate sizing. We have to have realworld mapping! Corona lets you also keep the base model for rendering.

2) It works good on small areas but the minute you try to add say a detailed grass model on an area of say 6400'x6400' it takes forever to just load it before rendering. This is the real deal breaker that makes enmesh with GPU unusable. Fstorm is instant with the same models for comparison.
    • Under Cuda - It shows loading these forever "Uploading GPU Nodes Buffers…" and "Building GPU dynamic nodes…"
    • Under RTX - It shows loading the previous two from Cuda plus "Building OptiX bottom level acceleration structures" and "Compacting OptiX bottom level acceleration structures"
    The loading of these before rendering takes up to 5 times longer than the rendering themselves. Also Sometimes rendering itself comes to a crawl for some reason.

Bump Maps - We usually use multiple maps for bump maps. So we would use a normal map, Bump map, and VrayEdgesTex for round corners. I tried multiple ways but could not get all maps to work together. Only (Normal and Bump) or (Normal and VrayEdgesTex) would work. Even (Bump and VrayEdgesTex) would not work.
    Last edited by Donfarese; 16-01-2024, 05:44 PM.

Hi, thanks for posting.

Fstorm has a one click option to turn any material into Parallax, this is amazing! Is Vray going to be getting a built in parallax?
    Judging by your example, a normal mapping like the one on the right is easily achievable with V-Ray. I am not sure what this "single button parallax" does in F-storm. Is it using diffuse maps to generate normal?

1) It lacks many features that even Corona Pattern has.​
    These are going to be added sooner than later.

2) It works good on small areas​
    Could you share an example on this one?

I tried multiple ways but could not get all maps to work together.
    Please show us an example with screengrabs or even better with a test scene.

Here is a rounded edges setup with VRayEdgesTex and V-Ray GPU (works in CUDA and RTX):
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3dsmax_2024-01-22_17-52-07.jpg Views:	0 Size:	300.6 KB ID:	1200379
    Is this what you are referring to or maybe you mean something else?
    Last edited by vladimir_krastev; 22-01-2024, 09:06 AM.
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Donfarese

For the full setup Normal map + Bump map + Edge text map you can use this setup with Vray GPU :

Best,
      Nicolas
      Attached Files

Comment

I'll have to chime in on the Enmesh "issue". Adding it to a larger area causes such high loading times (many more than the actual render), that it loses all advantages in GPU rendering in such cases. I've often had to revert back to CPU just because of this.

Comment

Working...
        X