Bitmap Aperture Doesn't Seem to Work With GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitmap Aperture Doesn't Seem to Work With GPU

I see the effect of the Bitmap Aperture (VRayPhysicalCamera) in the Light Cache, but not in the rendering.

Normal?

Could you send a scene over to investigate?
    Seems to work on my end:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	uc?id=10PxAuqfA-StY8VVbHphg1L0UHI7XnojZ.png Views:	0 Size:	9.6 KB ID:	1076706

I used some heart-shaped bitmap for aperture texture
    Alexander Soklev | Team Lead | V-Ray GPU

Comment

Hmmm. I am using an RGB aperture file like this. In VRay CPU I clearly see the effects of the color fringing. IN GPU I see these colors in the Light Cache, but once it renders they seem to disappear.

This is the actual Aperture file (well a very exaggerated version of it that I don't use very often.)

Does this work on your end? Compare with VRay CPU. (Max 2021.1 VRay 5 release build. Win 10. nVidia 442.92 Studio Driver)

Click image for larger version

Name:	BokkehHeavy.png
Views:	654
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1076710

Comment

Seems to also work
        Click image for larger version

Name:	uc?id=1k9qgL23E4jZFj8pesTHOV-RuswA6ojkd.png
Views:	343
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1076713

So I suppose there's maybe some setting in your setup that causes the problem.
        A scene would help us find exactly what

Comment

Hmm. I should do some more testing, but hard during production.

Do you get results that match CPU VRay? Kinda looks like it from your sample. Would there be differences between CPU and GPU in terms of what brightness level would trigger the aperture?

Thanks for looking at this, Alexander (with a very l337 h4x0r forum name

Comment

This simple scene I made matches the CPU completely. As for the second question I am not sure, I think there isn't

Comment

My scene is almost exclusively particles shaded with Phoenix ParticleShader (Fog mode in this case). I don't want to waste your time if I was wrong, but I sure thought I was not getting the color fringing in CPU but was in CPU. (Phoenix Release from June 15 I believe).

Comment

OK. in my scene with the Phoenix Particle (Fog) I am seeing the effect of the aperture on the geometry, but not on the particles rendered as Fog.

This DOES show up in CPU on the particles rendered with Phoenix Particle Shader (Fog mode).

This is actually with vray_adv_50004_max2021_x64_30186 that I just installed.

I wanted to say thank you for getting the Color Maps to work with Phoenix ParticleShader Fog mode. I assume you were involved. Svetlin helped me with it in this thread (which you don't need to read as it works now) https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/phoenix-fd/phoenix-fd-problems/1076343-particle-shader-fog-not-honoring-color-maps-in-gpu

Comment

See my post above too, but I DO see SOME effect of the bitmap aperture even wit the Phoenix Fog scene, however, it is very different from VRay CPU.

Comment

Working...
                  X